• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anyone young with dentures? Need advice.

A

Andrea_93

Whelp I'll start off by saying I did a terrible job taking care of my teeth growing up and I can probably count on my hands how many times Ive been to the dentist in the past 23 years. I have soft teeth, had braces twice (which further damaged my teeth due to lack of proper hygiene ), and i have 3 kids( with all pregnancies more and more of my teeth are chipping away like nothing) I have noticeable cavities and staining on my front teeth, a part of tooth thats barely hanging on by luck ( that i hope i do not lose anytime soon, its my front tooth.) I havr numerous teeth with holes and cavities and ive recently had two molars pulled due to having holes in them)
Obviously i need to see a dentist but the last time i went the dentist made me feel terrible, talking down on me and belittling me. I left the dentist in tears. I havent been back to one since. Then i needed multiple crowns. So i can only imagine 5 years later my teeth need alot more work. I could be eating something and a bits and pieces of my teeth will break off. I don't smile anymore because i hate how my teeth look, if i notice im laughing or smiling i hurry and shut my mouth to avoid anyone seeing my mouth. Anyways. Im contemplating getting dentures. For a few reasons, too look better and feel better about my appearance and to get rid of the pain I have from my teeth. Not to mention to risk of infection it could cause.
But, ive been told by a denture wearer that ill hate it. And thats making me nervous to follow through but there's no way id be able to afford to save my actual teeth nor do i think its worth it due to them being soft and not having enamel on them. I feel like this is my only option. I can't afford implants so thats out of the question. Is anyone in the same boat as me? Im 23 years old and terrfied to get them but miserable with my own teeth.

The greatest problem with dentures is the resorption of the bony ridge that holds the denture in place. A lot of resorption happens the first two years and then it slows down some but continues the rest of your life. If you have all your teeth removed it is possible to graft the holes that the roots were in with a xenograft. Xenografts are grafts from another species such as cow, pig and coral. These grafts say in your bone for many many years or even forever. This is a significant expense but not as much as placing several implants.

The greatest problem with dentures is the resorption of the bony ridge that holds the denture in place. A lot of resorption happens the first two years and then it slows down some but continues the rest of your life. If you have all your teeth removed it is possible to graft the holes that the roots were in with a xenograft. Xenografts are grafts from another species such as cow, pig and coral. These grafts say in your bone for many many years or even forever. This is a significant expense but not as much as placing several implants.

With my luck i wouldnt be able to afford that either. Money is very tight. Are dentures terrible to get? Even if i were to repair my teeth, they're so soft and have no enamel would it even be worth it?

It sounds like that front tooth of yours will come out or needs to.

I broke one of my front uppers back last August and hoped it would re-bed. It didn't and it got infected.

I finally got the guts to go to a dentist 3 months later - one that someone recommended for dental phobia.
I have gum disease and I went in asking for all of my uppers out and a denture.
He said it was a huge step and I would find things easier to only go for those teeth which were not likely to last.
I agreed on four front uppers (my worst looking teeth since my adult teeth grew in) to be extracted and have a denture fitted.

Yes it's less convenient than my own teeth, yes my gums are shrinking and I have to play around with glue and think about what to eat but even so it's been a life changer for me and I love my new teeth!! :)

I'm mid forties but I honestly wish I had taken this step back in my twenties.

I found some very honest YouTube videos which I found incredibly helpful - a young lady called Kalinjax (definitely look her up, click on her page and go right back to her oldest video first).
She eventually won a competition and got implants but her early videos are very good. She had all of her teeth extracted and full upper and lower dentures.

I could have just had my one broken tooth extracted and lived with a gap but I didn't want that.
Even with the few issues I'm having though this has been one of the best things I have ever done.

Don't just rely on one person's feeling about dentures.
Go take a look through you tube. There are vids on there from many open, honest folk.

Im 23 and have a full top and a bottom partial ive probably had them for only about half a year. I can say i was just like you about my whole situation. I can honestly say its well worth it! Being able to smile again and laugh with my friends its a life changer. Make the appointment! And remember Theres lots of young people out there with dentures your not alone!

I’m in a similar position. I’m 28 and have just been told by my dentist that they may not be able to save my top two front teeth; his suggestion was a second opinion and possible extraction. For me this is a nightmare, literally one of my worst fears. I was in an accident several months ago, and to be honest have taken the best care of my teeth when I was younger. The accident seems to have made them beyond saving. They’re now totally off centre, crooked and honestly I’ve been unhappy with them ever since. Because I had some teeth out as a kid, I’ve also been left with gaps in my top teeth where they were removed. I avoid smiling if I can because of it. The idea of losing them terrifies me though. I may have the option of a bridge or it’s a denture for me! I’ve read lots of varying stories online today, some saying their overjoyed because they love their new teeth and others hate them!! Any advice or similar experiences would be amazing. I need some reassurance that they won’t fall out when I’m smiling or laughing...

Back