• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Apicectomy follow up

S

Sarithecat

Junior member
Joined
Jan 9, 2023
Messages
17
Location
Devon, UK
I posted 3 months ago about my apicectomy procedure in the hope of saving a front tooth. Sadly me being the unluckiest person the apicectomy has failed. It didn't feel right from day 1 but I didn't know how it was supposed to feel. I did go in at the 2 month mark to check and get xrays because it felt a little strange, not painful but just odd. The Xray didn't show any infection and she assured me was probably just healing process.
Fast forward to last week when I realised there was a lump high up on gum line that was tender to touch and the surrounding gum was v red. Dentist confirmed an acute infection and prescribed antibiotics and said no options left but extract, partial denture for minimum of 6 months to try and heal area before look into possible implant.
I have lots of questions but for now just a couple really
1) On day 4/5 of antibiotics and although area is less painful, lump is smaller and area is slightly less red it's definitely not completely normal. Should I request a longer course of antibiotics?
2) They are looking at doing the extraction beginning of October as they're extremely busy. Is it okay to wait that long? Or should I try and plead for earlier treatment?
Thank you for reading. I am completely devastated at this outcome I so hoped to save the tooth but also anxiety is sky high about it all. My dentist is excellent but very busy and i sometimes feel km bothering her with all my concerns.
 
1) On day 4/5 of antibiotics and although area is less painful, lump is smaller and area is slightly less red it's definitely not completely normal. Should I request a longer course of antibiotics?
Wait a bit, it'll take some more time for all the bacteria to die off.

2) They are looking at doing the extraction beginning of October as they're extremely busy. Is it okay to wait that long? Or should I try and plead for earlier treatment?
You might need more antibiotics in the duration or you might not. No way to tell in advance I'm afraid.

Might be best to ask them if they have a short notice list they can put you on (assuming you were able to go in at short notice, obviously!). Bear in mind you'll need at least 2 visits for impressions and then the extraction.
 
@Gordon thank you very much. I was just concerned as a 5 day course seems quite short but perhaps normal. I think I'll definitely call and see if I can be put on cancellation list otherwise the next 6 weeks are going to be full of panic and staring at my gums with a torch. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that - thanks
 
Back
Top