• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Apicoectomy or extraction for failed root canal?

J

Jennteeth

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to seek some advice.

I have had a root canal on tooth 14 in August that does not want to settle. I found out after I noticed sensitivity when flossing/chewing and also a lump on the gum above tooth.

From August until now, I have had the root canal (endo did it in one visit) two rounds of antibiotics (clindamycin and z pack because I’m allergic to amoxicillin).

It started to hurt again afterwards and he retreated it and put in a temp filling. He said I would prob need surgery since it’s a decent sized infection that didn’t seem to be healing.

About a month ago, he opened up the tooth again and had his partner retreat the tooth together. They even used the a machine to disinfect the tooth. He said he thought I’d be ok afterward. He put on medicine and another temp filling.

Fast forward another month (now), I go back and tell him it started to hurt with some pressure these last few days. He opens it and says the tooth did drain and that I still have an active infection. He packs in medicine and another temp filling and says see him in a month.

I’ve been feeling pressure in my tooth every day and a bitter taste which makes me feel uneasy. I don’t have a fever but I’m starting to feel some pain in the jaw.

I’m at my wits end and I’m thinking of getting it extracted. I just want this infection to go away.

The apicoectomy isn’t guaranteed to work. Endo said my tooth is small and that he will have to cut away a lot of the root which could lead to stability issues. I’m also scared to death and have anxiety in the chair. I don’t want to put myself through surgery if it won’t get rid of the infection. Also my dental insurance is maxed out. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do ?

Thanks for reading.

E

electromagnetic

I had a root canal apicoectomy, the dentist took it out when I asked for it to be removed, after he showed me a x-ray, he was to quick to do it,did not try to save it. Look like he just left dental school.

Is a dental implant cyst proof?

When are they going to clone teeth.

J

Jennteeth

I had a root canal apicoectomy, the dentist took it out when I asked for it to be removed, after he showed me a x-ray, he was to quick to do it,did not try to save it. Look like he just left dental school.

Is a dental implant cyst proof?

When are they going to clone teeth.
Thanks for your reply. So you’re saying your apicoectomy wasn’t successful and your tooth was then extracted?

E

electromagnetic

It lasted a long time. Try to save it, where is the tooth front or back.

E

electromagnetic

The apicoectomy was good, how many times can they redo the root canal if it gets infected.

I said my dentist was to quick to remove it. I changed my mind, can you refuse treatment if you change your mind?:hmm:

In the UK they don't use machines to clean teeth!!

Everything is cheap as chips.:)

J

Jennteeth

Just wanted to update. My general dentist thinks the apicoectomy prob won’t work since I’ve had so many endodontic treatments without any improvement.

The infected root canal tooth is still draining and it causing me to feel really run down. It still feels really sensitive to bite on and floss/brush.

I have scheduled a consult for extraction and possible bone grafting with the oral surgeon tomorrow. The receptionist said they could extract as soon as tomorrow since i said I didn’t need iv sedation. I told her I would be more comfortable if I spoke to the doctor first.

J

Jennteeth

Update again:
Consulted with the oral surgeon and he said the best thing to do at this point is to extract. He said that the apicoectomy has an even lower chance of success than a root canal as well. He said since my sinuses are low and that I don’t have enough jawbone , he would need to do a sinus lift and bone graft in order to get an implant in. I opted to decline because I would rather not put myself through surgery right now. So I can either leave a space or get a bridge in the future.

I’m scheduled to remove it in the a.m. next Friday since the opening he had for tomorrow had filled up. He said I could have laughing gas if I’m nervous , so I think I’ll do it. I may even take an Ativan to calm my nerves before going.

Even though this tooth is causing me so much trouble, I’m gonna miss having something to chew on. I’m feeling pretty down that we are at the point of extraction right now. :(

A

assertives

Was your root canal done by an endodontist or a general dentist? If it was done by a general dentist, perhaps consider seeking an opinion of an endodontist before extracting it?

J

Jennteeth

Was your root canal done by an endodontist or a general dentist? If it was done by a general dentist, perhaps consider seeking an opinion of an endodontist before extracting it?
It was done by an endodontist and he even had his endodontist partner give it a try during the retreat.

J

Jennteeth

Update again, got it extracted today.
I made sure to take a dose of Ativan before going to keep myself from panicking.

When I arrived they gave me laughing gas and it was amazing. I was able to talk and be aware of things but still feel very good and relaxed at the same time. When the dentist lowered my seat , I said to myself oh! We are going on a ride!

He gave me two shots of anesthestics, felt two pinches but didn’t care.

He left me there until I was numb enough and then he began to remove it. He rocked it 3 times and out it came. I felt the pressure and I could hear the cracking from it being removed from the socket. He said well that was an easy extraction and then stuffed some gauze in the area.

I’ve been using the gauze all day and I’m still having some bleeding but not too bad. I took one of the prescription pain med and it seems to help. I do feel some soreness in the area like I got punched in the face. I also am eating soft foods like yogurt and soup.

So i hope this helps if you are super scared of tooth extraction like me. The laughing gas was my saving grace.

J

Jennteeth

Day 4 post extraction. I did need a few Tylenol 3 for first 2 days. Day 3 I didn’t need any pain reliever but I feel some swelling around the gum area and my face. I woke up this morning and spit some blood mixed with saliva. I’m going to do some salt water rinses today. Still feel some swelling and minor pain. Hopefully I’m on the road to recovery.

A

AngelCatMei

Day 4 post extraction. I did need a few Tylenol 3 for first 2 days. Day 3 I didn’t need any pain reliever but I feel some swelling around the gum area and my face. I woke up this morning and spit some blood mixed with saliva. I’m going to do some salt water rinses today. Still feel some swelling and minor pain. Hopefully I’m on the road to recovery.
Just to check on your recovery! Is everything okay after the extraction? Is the swelling fine?

Hope you're doing well.

J

Jennteeth

Just to check on your recovery! Is everything okay after the extraction? Is the swelling fine?

Hope you're doing well.
Hello Angel,

Thanks for asking!

It has healed fine but the teeth next to have started to move a little. I did get a partial denture and I can’t say I like it. It’s difficult to eat and speak with. So I just wear it a couple hours a day.

Eating has been somewhat difficult. I am considering an implant but they are telling me I need a sinus lift. Sinus lift surgery is super scary to me so it’s definitely holding me back from getting one.

I am having difficulty with 2 more molars. Two which were deep fillings that are starting to fail. So I’m pretty upset about that. I have to call for a consultation to see if I need a root canal for those too. My biggest fear is that these would fail too.

I thought my problems would be over after extraction but that is not the case.

I brush and floss everyday. Rinse my mouth if I eat anything sweet but I still have all these issues. I’m pretty sad that so many of my teeth are giving me problems!

Sorry for the long story!

J

jk1211

Update again, got it extracted today.
I made sure to take a dose of Ativan before going to keep myself from panicking.

When I arrived they gave me laughing gas and it was amazing. I was able to talk and be aware of things but still feel very good and relaxed at the same time. When the dentist lowered my seat , I said to myself oh! We are going on a ride!

He gave me two shots of anesthestics, felt two pinches but didn’t care.

He left me there until I was numb enough and then he began to remove it. He rocked it 3 times and out it came. I felt the pressure and I could hear the cracking from it being removed from the socket. He said well that was an easy extraction and then stuffed some gauze in the area.

I’ve been using the gauze all day and I’m still having some bleeding but not too bad. I took one of the prescription pain med and it seems to help. I do feel some soreness in the area like I got punched in the face. I also am eating soft foods like yogurt and soup.

So i hope this helps if you are super scared of tooth extraction like me. The laughing gas was my saving grace.
Good to hear, I may elect the has then. The pressure is what scares me

R

Rio I

Hello Angel,

Thanks for asking!

It has healed fine but the teeth next to have started to move a little. I did get a partial denture and I can’t say I like it. It’s difficult to eat and speak with. So I just wear it a couple hours a day.

Eating has been somewhat difficult. I am considering an implant but they are telling me I need a sinus lift. Sinus lift surgery is super scary to me so it’s definitely holding me back from getting one.

I am having difficulty with 2 more molars. Two which were deep fillings that are starting to fail. So I’m pretty upset about that. I have to call for a consultation to see if I need a root canal for those too. My biggest fear is that these would fail too.

I thought my problems would be over after extraction but that is not the case.

I brush and floss everyday. Rinse my mouth if I eat anything sweet but I still have all these issues. I’m pretty sad that so many of my teeth are giving me problems!

Sorry for the long story!

Hi

can i ask for root canal failure, did you get some part of refund from endo if ur tooth finally need to be extracted ?

M

MountainMama

Hi

can i ask for root canal failure, did you get some part of refund from endo if ur tooth finally need to be extracted ?
I am not the original poster, but I never got any kind of refund for my failed root canals. They did all the work, and it was never a guarantee. Mine offered to do a retreat for free and gave me the apico for half off.