• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Apicoectomy

D

Deedee2604

I'm having apicoectomy tomorrow and starting to freak out! I did what you should not and watched some videos and read experiences. This just looks so barbaric! And painful! Anyone have this done? Any positive experiences?

Hi Deedee,

I just wanted to wish you well and try to support you even though I'm unable to give you first hand experience. While I did have an apicoectomy, it was done under general anesthesia so I was fast asleep. But, I found an older thread that may help give you some comfort.

I did have a little throbbing after the procedure so I immediately started taking an over the counter painkiller and made sure to keep taking it every 4 or so hours for a couple of days and it kept the discomfort at bay. I'm sure you'll be fine!

I'm sorry you watched the video, I'm usually drawn to wanting to know everything and then wish I hadn't afterwards. Dr. Google and YouTube are not always our friends! :o With proper numbing (and let your dentist know if you need more) you shouldn't have any pain.

No more watching videos! Re-read the thread a few times and know that you will be o.k. and that we will be there with you in spirit! You can do this!! :)

Sending you warm wishes and :clover::clover: for tomorrow!
Takingflight

Thank you Takingflight. I was able to relax last night and made it through the procedure OK. It was an upper first molar and I guess the sinus membrane was perforated during the procedure. I am a little worried about this. I have never had sinus problems and don't want them now! He said it should heal on its own and the tooth has good prognosis. Numbing is starting to wear off......:scared::scared:. Hoping for a speedy recovery and complication free!

Well done!!! :jump: I'm so happy for you that you went through with it and that the Dr. said everything should heal nicely. I hope that the sinus issue resolves itself; it sounds as though the dentist expects it to so that's good news. Pat yourself on the back and give yourself the gift of relaxation while you recover. ;D

Thanks so much for coming back on here and letting us know how everything went. :) Wishing you a speedy, uneventful recovery!!!

Back