• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Apologies for stupid post. Where is the nerve in my front tooth?

Judythecat

Judythecat

This is a completely stupid post, but can someone please indulge me? I feel like the edge/corner of my front upper right tooth is rough, like I have chipped it. There is no visible chip, so it must be a tiny fraction of a millimetre. I suffer from atypical facial pain, and since noticing it with my tongue this morning the tooth hurts. Logically, I know the tooth’s nerve can’t be on its very edge - can it? In my 20s I chipped the tooth when I clashed teeth with a bloke I was kissing, and my dentist just smoothed it off, without even numbing it. No pain. This is my imagination, right? The tooth has never had any work done, all was fine at my last checkup in January, and my gums were 0/1, plus one 2 by my upper wisdom tooth.

Thank you to anyone reading. My AFP has been really bad in lockdown, probably due to stress, and I missed the checkup I should have had on 29 April, so my anxiety is through the roof! (I’m on three month checks because of the neuralgia.)

Hi Judythecat,

It’s not stupid to ask at all. If it’s running through your mind you’re best to ask us. Delighted to be able to assure you that the pulp is nowhere near the surface. Over the years it actually continues to move further and further away from the surface. So basically it sounds like the tooth will be absolutely fine.

It appears that you have a really good understanding of the different elements that contribute to perception of pain. That’s really helpful. I hope this info can help with settling things down.

Niall

Hi Judythecat,

It’s not stupid to ask at all. If it’s running through your mind you’re best to ask us. Delighted to be able to assure you that the pulp is nowhere near the surface. Over the years it actually continues to move further and further away from the surface. So basically it sounds like the tooth will be absolutely fine.

It appears that you have a really good understanding of the different elements that contribute to perception of pain. That’s really helpful. I hope this info can help with settling things down.

Niall

Hi Niall,

Thank you so much for replying. Sometimes the neuralgia makes it hard to be logical, and I rely on the three monthly checkups to reassure me my teeth are fine, and it’s just my wonky nerves! Not knowing when I can next see my dentist is difficult, and it sounds like that might be a long way off - although obviously I completely understand why dentists are not able to work.

Thank you very much again.
Judy

Hi Judy, your post wasn't stupid at all, but it is very reassuring to see you thought that as that's what I think regularly about majority of my own posts after I wrote them.. even without AFP.. nice to read that we are all human and share the same insecurities and fears :)
Hope the pain subsides soon.:clover:

It’s one of the things I love about the forum- it gives people the opportunity to ask questions and explain their feelings in a way they may not feel comfortable asking their own dentist. It’s a warm, non-judgemental community here so keep the questions coming!

I hope the pain goes away for you!

Thank you for always answering us so kindly and non judgementally.. you are a blessing @Niall Neeson

Thank you - the tooth is not painful today. The mind is a very powerful thing! My neuralgia is normally on the other side of my mouth, so I always panic if it moves around. Having missed that checkup makes me SO anxious, which is so silly, I know.

Having missed that checkup makes me SO anxious, which is so silly, I know.

I don't think it's silly. Having that checkup and that reassurance from your dentist means a lot and helps to keep your anxiety controlled. I can see how not having this causes you anxiety. Hope life and dentistry soon go on.

Back