• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment during Pandemic

H

Hartington99

Hi everyone, bit of positive news to share! Throughout the first lockdown I was in a lot of pain with a random lump/growth on my gum, the pain went but the lump did not. A few weeks back I was in a lot of pain with the teeth beneath this lump which was not visible to the eye you could just feel it to the touch which was sore to feel. So I called the dentist and explained had a telephone consultation and then my dentist said for all she was not worried she would like to see me in the clinic. Fast forward today to the day of my appointment , I have only been a patient at this practice for a year previously having not seen a dentist for 7 years. I love this dentist she’s great but it doesn’t mean I’m any less nervous when it comes to it. For my previous 2 appointments my partner attended with me which reassured me however this was not the case today due to the dreaded c word I had to attend alone. I called to say I had arrived and they called me in when they were ready I was greeted at the door by a member of staff who took my temperature and sanitised my hand I then had to go up the stairs where I was met by another member of staff and was able to enter the room. I sat in the chair and my dentist began asking me questions my voice was so shaky I could barely answer , for some reason this was harder for me than laying back in the chair. She felt the lump and took an X-Ray and said she’s certain it’s just a bone growth and nothing to worry about. The X-ray came up fine and all my teeth were fine. She said she could refer me to the hospital for a second opinion and a piece of mind but said she personally wouldn’t worry about it. I’m so proud of myself for attending alone and I’m so impressed by the whole dental team. She is going to call me in three months to see how I am. Hopefully now that I know it’s nothing to worry about I will not panic. It was also nice to see a dentist as I have came to the understanding that dental care is actually quite a luxury especially at the minute. So to any one with an upcoming appointment worried it may be extra pressure than normal, just breathe you too can do it and try see it as a luxury, they have your best interest at heart.

Back