• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment in one hour, I’m so scared I can’t move

• Thread starter conqueringfears
  • Start date
conqueringfears

conqueringfears

I’m going in one hour to get my crown placed on a molar that I had a root canal on years ago and never went back to get the crown because it had a deep filling but over the last year it started to wear down a little bit.

@Gordon Previously mentioned that I didn’t have to get local anesthetic if I didn’t want to and that even though my tooth has been a little bit tender it shouldn’t hurt to get the crown prep and placement without local. I’m guessing it’s because this tooth has endo treatment, but I still don’t understand how it won’t hurt if the tooth feels a bit tender.

Every time I get local anesthetic I get really shaky and nauseous so thinking about possibly having to get it is freaking me out. Even if I don’t get anesthetic the second that the chair lays back my heart literally beats out of my chest and I feel like I’m gonna pass out. I have made it through the hard times already, I got two root canals this year And two other crowns so this wouldn’t be my first rodeo. But I’m still so terrified of what could go wrong. I’m scared that they will start to prep the tooth for the crown and I will have crazy pain or the tooth will crack during the appointment or something bad will happen like an allergic reaction. I’m just crying so hard on my couch. I’m just truly so terrified and I don’t know how to get there. I don’t know how to be brave for this one today. Please help me.

I hope all went okay x

@Imapparentlyhere thanks so much. It did. I was really worked up so I have a gnarly headache and some gum pain, but the dentist and staff were so well and good with me.

Good to hear it went well! I also get stressed before visiting the dentist, but it's never as bad as I think it'll be. In fact, I don't think it's ever been bad at all. Dentists these days are far more aware of the number of people who experience dental anxiety. You're definitely not alone!

@Emily85 hi there! You’re so kind. Sometimes the thought of having anxiety gives me when more anxiety. Thank you!

Back