• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment Made

W

Woodweather01

I made an appointment for a check up today - 2 years overdue. I haven’t stopped crying since I made it.
I am so scared of how long I have to be in that chair plus the general fear of the unknown. I am terrified I’ll be told I have to have a root canal.
I get a little bit of sensitivity when I eat chocolate. I have a hole on the side of my tooth where the gum meets the tooth. It has a fancy name that I can’t remember but my dentist told me it’s not cavities - it’s something else. I have them on the other side of my mouth too. She filled them and they are fine.
The problem is - when I called the dentist, I was told my normal dentist has left. So I think this is adding to the anxiety.
if I need a filling, I can cope with that. But anything more, I’m not sure I can.
I brush twice a day for two mins with a sonic toothbrush. I haven’t needed anything major done for a very long time, if ever. I have lots of fillings so they sometimes need replacing but that’s it. But this 2 years gap (because of COVID and my last planned appointment being on the day of my Dad’s funeral (I cancelled the Appointment) I feel like there’s going to be loads wrong.
I am so scared.

Hi so sorry that I am just seeing your post. Facing unknowns can be very scary! I do hope you managed to go through with it and that things went well with your appointment. I am very sorry for the recent loss of your dad ❤️. Please update us on how things went!

Hello! thanks so much for your kind message. Amazingly, it was ok! A new dentist which freaked me out but she was very nice. Had x rays done and she confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my teeth - she said the pain I was feeling was related to a sinus infection! she removed some plaque, gave me some advice on brushing and told me to come back more regularly so she can keep me well on top of my teeth. She said I was doing a good job of looking after them. There are three areas to keep an eye on but they haven’t changed in four years and, she said if I come back at regular 6 month intervals, there won’t be more than a filling. I told her I was scared of root canals and she said ‘if you need a root canal, you’d know about it!’
So glad I went. A weight has been lifted and I feel motivated to go back regularly now.
Thanks so much for your message ❤

That’s great to hear! So glad that it went so well! The new dentist sounds absolutely lovely!

That’s wonderful news. I too had a gap on going to the dentist because of covid. It caused me terrible anxiety. Worse once I got up the nerve to have my husband make the appointment I had to wait months due to the backlog caused by covid. But I too went and everything is fine. My dentist is lovely. He knows I have anxiety. He’s very kind and patient. He’s even talking to me into getting an implant. I am seriously considering it. I lost a tooth years ago due to a failed root canal!