• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment soon

H

Hartington99

hi everyone , a few months ago now a random hard lump appeared on the gum of my back teeth that couldn’t be seen only felt any hurt when I touched it or smiled. I couldn’t get an appointment due to coronavirus, soon enough the pain went and only the lump remained. Lately it’s been causing a lot of pain and my back teeth feel very sensitive. I am wondering if it’s an abscess because it can’t be seen or if it could be my wisdom tooth growing in strangely. Anyway I called my dentist who asked me to send pictures and then said she wasn’t worried but wanted to see me clinically. I have to attend this alone which I am very nervous about as my partner usually attends with me. I have only been to this practice twice once for a check up and once for a filling ( only been a patient of theirs less than a year) the dentist was nice but I just don’t know how to cope without my partner as emotional support and how it’ll be with coronavirus. I’m also scared that it could be something serious or require serious work. Any advice or encouragement would be well taken. Thanks everyone

Hi,

it sounds like you had a very good dentist, that’s a good start. There is no need for immediate definitive treatment, first only diagnosing and deciding on a treatment plan.
If it is indeed an abscesses, the dentist can prescribe antibiotics and/or shave off tiny little bit off the tooth so that it won’t absorb pressure when closing the teeth together.
regarding COVID: the dentist is in fact in the danger of being infected from a patient rather then the other way around, and luckily the statistics show there are no real danger of that. I would be more concerned there are no other patients in the waiting room and that there is good ventilation.

Thank you I guess it’s more so that the experience itself will be different and not very calm especially since I will be alone. Thank you

Did you ever find out what it was?

Did you ever find out what it was?
Hi Cinkat, I didn’t find out exactly what it was. I did have an appointment where I had X-rays and she had a good feel around and nothing came up and she said it was just a bony growth (can’t remember the technical term haha) and that she wasn’t worried. She did say she could refer me to the hospital for a second opinion but she said she personally would just leave it and would give me a call in six months to see how I’m doing . The lump is still there but the tooth only painful every now and again as if my teeth are all moving. So still inconclusive but not as worried.

Hi everyone, update it was an abscess all along I believe ! Hidden on X-rays but finally got rid of the tooth today after the infection spread out and made the roof of my mouth appear bruised! The abscess came out with the tooth, disgusting I know! And now the bump that this thread was about is gone so I’m guessing that has actually been the abscess!

Back