• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment this afternoon ?

C

Caz72

Hi Guys

I’m a newbie so hi to everyone this is my first post

I have a dentist appt this afternoon at 3.40 and I’m beyond terrified ?

I have Health Anxiety and General Anxiety Disorder I’ve had a few councelling sessions currently doing CBT but only had 3 sessions

I’m scared of oral cancer screening and X-rays not of having it done as such but the results it’s always about results with me

My husband rang and made the appt I couldn’t even do that I can’t believe I’ve let things get this bad

I will update later thanks for reading

Caz x

Hi @Caz72, just wanted to wish you the very best of luck for your appointment this afternoon :grouphug:

Looking forward to the update.

Good luck ??????!!!

@Caz72 everything will be okay, don't worry. Good luck

*UPDATE*

Hi all

I’m back from dentist omg I feel so much better and relieved

I think I have been very lucky after over 30 years of not having any dental work done I need 1 filling 2 teeth that are broken out and a clean ?

I am so proud of myself and all my appointments are booked so on 2.2.22 all work will be done and I’ll be ok

Thank you everyone for your kind words I’m so glad I found this forum I will stick around and let you all know how the rest goes ? Thanks guys

Caz x

Hi @Caz72, I'm really glad to hear your appointment went well and you're feeling positive about getting your treatment completed. You should definitely be proud of yourself. Keep that in mind for your next appointment and let us know how it goes.

Congratulations @Caz72, that must be a such huge weight off your shoulders :cloud9:

Fantastic that you managed to go, and what a great finishing date to look forward to (2.2.22?? that's just brilliant!)

Hope you got a chance to celebrate your success ???

Let us know how you get on!

Caz72

So glad you faced your fears and went and now have some positive momentum and experience to go to the next step ! That is awesome and took alot of courage! I know all the "what ifs" before hand and fears can lead a person a bit anxious to even walk in the door but you did it! That is awesome going to counseling too! I really know that helped when I was conquering dental fears.. really mostly it was being here with all the lovely support knowing people "get" dental fear and would embrace and not judge me for bringing my fear to the table. Anyways. you did awesome.. How was the clinic,? dentist? What did you like about it?

Hi guys ?

Thank you all so much for your kind words I can’t tell you how much it has helped

I do feel very proud of myself this has been a worry of mine for so long now I have to keep reminding myself I’ve actually been and it wasn’t what I was expecting at all

I had looked at so many dentist websites over the last couple of weeks I could navigate round some of them with my eyes closed ?

I just happened to be talking to a friend from work about my worries and she suggested the dentist I saw I hadn’t come across them on any of my google searching exercises ?

krlovesherkids777

To answer your questions the clinic was lovely not too “dentists” not too “homely” the dentist was such a nice man I was crying and shaking and a right mess he spoke to me he wasn’t patronising or overly rude he just told me everything would be fine and done at a pace I’m happy with he told me given that I hadn’t been for so long my problems I needed fixing weren’t a big deal he said I should feel proud of myself for looking after my teeth as best I could with my fear which helped me no end I was really happy when he said that he told me to be proud of myself he explained everything answered my questions and didn’t judge me at all just tiny things like him fetching me from the waiting room and not the dental assistant made all the difference I don’t know why

I know I’m yet to have work done but I really don’t feel too bad about that I may be nervous on the day but I don’t think it will be anything like I was yesterday

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement this place is so good I wish I had found it years ago ?

I will absolutely update next week Thank you all ?

Caz x

*UPDATE*

Hi guys

I’ve been for my filling today

The dentist used numbing gel before the injection I didn’t feel a thing was weird feeling I’ve never had a filling before

Feeling very proud and still numb slight headache but I was a little stressed before the appt

I’m back on Tuesday to have one of the broken teeth out I feel better about that appt now

I will updating on Tuesday

Thanks again for all your kind words it really does help

Caz x

Fantastic - well done @Caz72 ? ?!!! Sounds like you did really well ?. I know what you mean by having a slight headache from the stress of it (also the build-up to the appointment) - I think it’s really common to feel exhausted afterwards so hopefully you got a chance to chill and recuperate!

Wishing you all the best for Tuesday xxx

@Caz72 you should definitely feel proud of yourself. That's great you managed so well and are feeling better about your next visit. Hope it goes as well as this one did ?

Hi Guys

*UPDATE*

I’ve been dentist again today and had the first of 2 bad teeth out ?

I was nervous again but the dentist is so nice he takes time to make sure I feel completely relaxed and comfortable with everything

I’m in a little discomfort at the minute but I know I just need a couple of days to heal I’m so happy I have made myself do this and get this sorted been on my mind for so many years and now I’ve done it

I only have 1 appt left then I will be sorted ? Thanks guys for all your help along the way

I will update after my next appt a week on Friday

Caz x

@Caz72 this is great news. Taking steps towards a healthy mouth again and gaining confidence in knowing that you are able to handle this is fantastic. I'm so pleased for you.

It'll usually take a couple days for initial healing so you are right to be patient and allow yourself that time.

Hope your last appointment is just as successful ?

Congratulations @Caz72 - well done :cheer:!!!!

How brilliant that things are going so well for you! I hope the healing is going well, too ?

Wishing you all the best for your appointment next week?

Hi Guys

*ANOTHER UPDATE*

I went for my last appt yesterday I was wrong in my original post the date of my last appt was 4.2.22 not 2.2.22 ??‍♀️

I had the other bad root out and a clean ? literally took him 2 mins to get the tooth out he’s such a good dentist I actually think I might love him a bit ?

So now he says my mouth is “stable” no decay no need for fillings etc am I right in thinking that’s a good thing?

He made me an appt for August so 6 months he said we have to keep an eye on my filling because it was quite deep but not to worry obviously any problems before then to go see him

I’m so happy this is done and I’m pleased with how clean my teeth look now if there’s any dentists on here what should I be doing to maintain his work?

Thanks for all your support guys I am so grateful for all your kind words ?

Caz x

@Caz72 I'm so pleased for you. Having stable oral health is what I aim for with my patients. To maintain this, keeping your oral hygiene up to a good standard is key.
Brushing twice a day, usually morning and last thing before bed but after lunch too can be beneficial, with a manual or electric toothbrush. Brush in front of a mirror and check your brush is covering the gum line at a 45 degree angle so it tucks into the neck of the tooth where bacteria can hide. Fluoride toothpaste (1450ppm fluoride minimum). Spit toothpaste out and don't rinse. Cleaning between your teeth to prevent decay between them and look after your gums with floss (dental tape is great as is flat and coated rather than multiple fibres in floss that gets caught or frays) or interdental brushes...the ones that look like mini bottle brushes! Your dentist or hygienist could help you size these for most efficient cleaning. If you really want to use mouthwash then use at a separate time to brushing or it will wash off all the fluoride if you use it after brushing and that fluoride will be keeping your teeth healthy.
Then consider your diet in terms of sugar intake and acid. Plain water or milk through the day. If you're having anything else then keep it to mealtimes and use a straw for fizzy/fruit juice/cordial. If you snack try savoury or vegetable based snacks and check for hidden sugars. If you want sweet treats then try to eat at mealtimes and don't graze on them, just eat them all in the one sitting. Cut out any sugar in tea/coffees.
It's minimising exposure to sugars and acids that will prevent decay as well as cleaning away the build up as I previously explained that will help keep your oral health stable.
Best wishes
Jodie

Hi Jodie

Thank you so much for your reply ☺️

I do brush at night now as well and I have an electric toothbrush ? I will definitely do what you say about my gum line

I don’t rinse after brushing he told me that on my first visit I used to though ???‍♀️

I think my diet is ok now obviously he has repaired the damage from when it wasn’t I have been on slimming world for 5 years and lost just over 8 and a half stone so my sugar intake is limited and my fruit and veg is quite good some veg upsets my stomach so I have to be careful I drink flavoured water and I have 2 cups of tea a day with 2 sweeteners I don’t have any normal sugar at all

My sweet treats are limited to my syns ? and I really noticed that after coming “off plan” over Xmas and eating more of that stuff and ended up with toothache and the rest as they say is history ?

I’m so grateful for your help and I will stick around here to help anyone who feels like me before I went and I will also update in August when I’ve had my first check up at the grand old age of 49 ??‍♀️

If only everything was so easily fixed

Thanks again

Caz x

@Caz72 that all sounds great. Tea with sweetener (with or without milk) is also fine. The only thing I'd say is flavoured water may be sugar free but it's still acidic and will thin your enamel which can lead to sensitivity and lead to easier/quicker decay.
If you can make the switch to plain water then that'd be best for your teeth. Play around with the temperature and see what you like best.
Definitely stay around as others will appreciate advice from you haveing gone through challenges and overcome them so fantastically ?

@Caz72 That's brilliant news ???!! Congratulations on getting to the finishing line (and in record time at that) ?! As Jodie said, it would be really great if you could stick around here, as it really does help others who are going through a similar situation.

Thanks so much for the update ?

Back