• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment tomorrow and anxiety on hyperdrive

D

Danni9242

Hi all,
I've not been on the forums for quite a while.
As a child I was never taken to the dentist and oral hygiene was not a priority, and as a teen I was Sichuan and took no care of myself. At 21 I finally went to the dentist and had a horrible experience. At 23 I had my daughter and decided I had to set the example and not leave her to the same fate and started attending the dentist. I found a very nice dentist and had quite a few filings done and my top wisdom teeth out.
Despite how nice she is In still filled with dread prior to appointments, but moreso this time than before or last appointment. I think Covid is no help, nor the fact I had to go 2 months ago and get a large filling in a broken tooth she said would need a crown if the filing failed (it hasn't noticeably done so).
A big issue is that not only do I have ongoing fears about my teeth but I struggle to reign in my fears about my 8 soon to be 9 yos teeth. We can already see that it's likely at some point she'll need some orthodontic work as like me her teeth have some crowding going on, but over Covid I've become obsessed with her adult teeth being 'too yellow'. This is despite numerous people saying they haven't noticed a problem and the dentist highlighting ZERO issues at our appointment in February. I do not want to pass on my obsession with teeth, but am equally terrified of I'm too lax she'll end up with issues. I think a further factor is that she's of the age where we're giving her more autonomy so she is doing the majority of the tooth brushing. I know I'm going to have to let go at some point but I just really struggle with the overwhelming sense of responsibility and fear of their being even the slightest issue. I don't know what I really want from this post beyond simply getting these feelings 'out there' amongst people who understand the reality of living with these fears so if you've read this far thank you so much!

Hi Danni9242,

sorry to see that you haven't got any replies to this post. Hope that getting it all out helped for a moment and for most people it is one of the things that can help hugely. It sounds like on some level you would like to protect your daughter from having similar experience that you had and this makes you being obsessive about her teeth too. However you are aware of that and that is the first step towards taking charge of it I guess. If you are seeing a dentist regularly with her, then she will be fine.

If you come around anytime soon, please shoot us an update. I would love to read how you are doing.

All the best wishes

Back