• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment tomorrow, terrified

C

Candygirl88

I haven't been to a dentist in over 10 years and most of it is because I hate them, I gag all the time. I have a small mouth and it makes it really hard to do anything. Sadly I have to go because I'm in pain due to a wisdom tooth and it's over crowded in my mouth and most likely will have to be taken out. I hope they numb me so good that I don't feel a single thing. I also suffer really bad with anxiety so it makes it way more harder to deal with. Any advice or kinds words would be great.

Hi Candygirl88 :welcome:,

that's very brave that you scheduled, well done on that. Did you mention that you are anxious when you were scheduling?

Thank you! No my dad was actually the one who scheduled I also have really bad anxiety talking to people on the phone.

I'm actually in a similar situation right now. Not sure if it helps, but I like sending virtual hugs to comfort people. Because there are people here who care. I've learned that from being on this forum. And, of course, I care too and I understand because I need to have my wisdom teeth out and it really has just been triggering my anxiety something awful lately.

I can also say that I have anxiety talking on the phone, too. That's one of the reasons why I had such a hard time making my appointment with the dentist because of my phone anxiety. So I feel for you there, and you are not alone. I just wanted to say that and send you my virtual hugs and best wishes. ❤

Thanks I'll take all the support I can get. I think one of the main reasons I hate going is because of my really bad gag reflex and all those tools and the vibrating one. I've been going to this dentist for a while and knows that but just rushes through while I'm gagging can't find any others who takes Medicaid in my area.
I hope yours goes well I of course will immediately post here once it's over. I guess that is the best part of it being over but then again I'll probably have to see a surgeon to remove the wisdom teeth if needed :(

Sending you all the support! I'm going through a BIG journey myself right now, and I know just how you feel. I'm proud of you for doing this <3 You're not alone, we're here to listen and to lend a shoulder if you need one. This forum IS the reason I went for help. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us, so we can be there for you!

I think one of the main reasons I hate going is because of my really bad gag reflex and all those tools and the vibrating one. I've been going to this dentist for a while and knows that but just rushes through while I'm gagging can't find any others who takes Medicaid in my area.

Under these circumstance, I would hate going too :( There are many kind dentists out there who would be happy to help you with your gag reflex, what a bummer with Medicaid. Would it be worth a try to remind your dentist of your gagging and anxiety and ask him to be mindful of it? Also, a stop signal may help you to get more control over the treatment, provided you would feel able to use it.

Btw., if you haven't seen it yet, we have some tips about gagging here.

Back