• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment tomorrow!

K

KIRSKYZE

Hi all! I have finally booked an appointment for tomorrow at 1.30. I've had nothing but trouble with my teeth my whole life! I'm very much a "go to the dentist when I'm in pain" type of person, which I know is completely stupid of me and definitely explains me having tooth issues forever! Anyway, 5 years ago was the last time I went to the dentist. It was quite traumatic because I had an infection and the gum wouldn't numb! So I left there in even more pain than what I went in with, took a week of antibiotics and to my surprise I actually went back and had the two infected teeth removed! I still had some work that needed to be done but I wasn't in pain so, surprise surprise, I buried my head in the sand and didn't go back. Fast forward to last year, I end up with a massive abcess on my front tooth. My face swelled, I was in agony for week. Took antibiotics, everything settled but it scared me to the point of being determined to sort this out once and for all. Then with covid, I couldn't get an appointment with my usual dentist and I absolutely couldn't pluck up the courage to see someone new! So here I am, a year later, the front tooth on the other side has been hurting for a month now. There's a bit of swelling under my nose and it really hurts to press that area, it's not excruciating but ive had enough of pain and worry ruling my life. I finally got an appointment with my usual dentist, I had to practically beg him to see me! Now I'm absolutely terrified that my mouth won't numb again because I have a slight infection and it's going to traumatise me and set me back to square one! Is this likely? I'm so sorry this is so long, I've never spoken to anyone about this before and it felt so good to get it off my chest!

Hi there and welcome ?!

Just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow! A slight infection should not stop you from going numb - often, all it takes is some extra local anaesthetic. It's not expensive, so don't be afraid to ask for more if you're not completely numb!

I hope things go well for you tomorrow. You must like this dentist because otherwise, you wouldn't have made the effort to see him again? Anyway, best of luck and please let us know how you got on ???

Thank you Letsconnect!
Yes, he's the best dentist I've ever seen and, with the amount of times I've had to see an emergency dentist, I've seen a lot! He's understanding and kind but also matter of fact, which is what my health anxiety needs!

He had been fully booked for months due to covid, but luckily he's managed to squeeze me in for tomorrow. I will be back with an update!

Thank you for taking time to reply, I really appreciate it!

That's great that he managed to squeeze you in ?, I understand that in many places, there are still long waiting lists due to covid, so well done for getting an appointment quickly! Wishing you all the best for tomorrow!!

I finally did it! I went, he looked at the tooth that's causing me pain and took an x-ray. He said I have an infection, so gave me antibiotics for a week then we made another appointment for the 14th Dec where he will check over all my teeth, do x-rays and come up with a treatment plan!

I am SO relieved! He wasn't horrified like I had expected, he didn't tell me I was dying, like I had expected! All that fear and worrying and here I am wondering what it was all for!

I know I'll feel nervous again on the 14th but nowhere near the nerves I felt today!

Great news - well done!! Brilliant to hear that things went so well today ?. Wishing you all the best for December 14th. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon!

Hope things went/will go well today ?! Best of luck?!!

Sorry i haven't replied, I ended up with covid symptoms the day before my last appointment so I had to reschedule. My new appointment was today. I went alone!!! Which was massive because I normally drag my sister with me for support lol. I wanted to go alone because I knew if I could do that I could do anything. We done Xrays and he said I need 2 extractions 2 root canals and 2 fillings, which is a far cry from the full extractions I had expected him to say I needed lol. I feel so proud today. My next appointment is on the 20th Jan and I will have 2 extractions then. I'm looking forward to finally getting on the road to a healthy mouth! Thank you for your support!

Back