• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointments+covid

T

tazey

So I'm ment to have my first appointment at the new place very soon it's just a bit confusing as to what's "allowed" in terms of rules yes they are open+yes I know medical appointments are an exception but mine is half hr away in a different city so it's not local+it also involves getting a lift with someone not in my household. Any opinions on this?

It depends on the rules where you are i guess.

Where we are in the UK we are in lockdown. We can travel for medical appointments but we arent meant to be indoors with anyone we don't live with (in houses, cars, etc). However, this doesn't apply if you're eligible to have a support bubble - you have to be a single person or a single person with a child under 18. If you're eligible for a support bubble then whoever is your bubble is classed as 1 household with you.

If you must get a lift with someone who doesn't live with you, can you wear a mask for the journey?

Think the rules are pretty much the same all over the UK at the mo,this is the problem medical appointments fine staying local+having a lift not so much. I can't have a bubble but I guess wearing a mask in a car is the only option,except last time I was car sick (also get hot/dizzy alot) so not very practical.

Can you go on the bus? I think only you can decide. I guess it depends how vulnerable you both are health wise.

No it's half hour away at least,it's not really a choice I need this finished+haven't had an appointment since last march.

I’m in Scotland so the rules might be different. Medical appointments are okay, but I think the travel to another city and the journey in the car with a member of another household would not be okay.

I’m in Scotland so the rules might be different. Medical appointments are okay, but I think the travel to another city and the journey in the car with a member of another household would not be okay.
Well can't be helped that it's in a different city (not miles away tho) if it gets put off then it will never get finished,being able to eat is kind of important+they take all precautions.

The dentist being in a different city isn't an issue or a problem.

You asked for opinions on travelling with someone not in your household. The general rule is its not permitted but at the end of the day, do what you want and need to do, its your choice. I personally wouldn't travel in the car with someone from outside of my household but that's my preference.

The whole situation is the problem including being in a different city (so yes I did ask for opinions on all of it) I know it's not permitted (not that some of the rules make any sense anyway) but I wouldn't be putting people at risk as I don't go out anywhere I've been inside since last march. I wouldn't chose to either but only 1 person in the family drives so limited options,this appointment was made in oct/Nov before the further restrictions were put in place boxing day. I've waited 7yrs stupid me thinking it would finally be sorted.

You're allowed to travel for medical appointments. And if the reason you're going by car and not by public transport is because of your anxiety about the dental appointment, I think that would also be okay, because the person driving is providing you with support. You would really need to both wear masks in the car, and be sure that public transport is not an option for you.

Yes I asked the place and they said travelling would be allowed,if you were stopped by police tho I'm not sure they'd agree (as they wouldn't see it as an emergency). Public transport isn't an option at any time as it's awkward to get too.

I don't think it has to be an emergency. I have a consultant immunologist that I usually see every six months, about an hour away from me, they wanted me to come in for a (non urgent) treatment at the hospital, they reassured me that it was totally fine by the regulations to travel for medical appointments although I decided not to due to Covid. I also didn't want to spend hours on public transport in the middle of a pandemic. I think if you were stopped by police (very unlikely) they would let you off and certainly if they were to fine you I would challenge it.

My dad spoke to someone earlier they have actually been stopping people down that way,easier said than done I wouldn't be the one with the fine. Guess it's not an issue now anyway. ?

Which part of the UK are you in? I could check the regulations for you.

Thanks but it's been cancelled,had no choice.

In some areas they are stopping people who are doing non essential or excessive journeys - such as people travelling two hours for a takeaway, or an hour for a walk. As far as I know they are not fining people who are travelling for medical appointments. Health appointments are permitted.

In some areas they are stopping people who are doing non essential or excessive journeys - such as people travelling two hours for a takeaway, or an hour for a walk. As far as I know they are not fining people who are travelling for medical appointments. Health appointments are permitted.
I know they are but sharing a car isn't so I can't risk everyone in the car getting fined as I can't afford to pay them all as it would be my fault. It's not like it matters now anyway as it's clearly never going to get finished.

Its horrible when things like this don't go to plan because you spend so long preparing yourself and building up the courage to even make the appointment in the First place.

What was it you were supposed to be having done?

Back