• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Apprehensive

@Jackieallen Thank you so much! I keep telling myself that a little soreness and discomfort is normal. I'm not in any pain and only really need an orc Advil once or twice a day and I'm totally fine, so I think I'm in the clear for any problems! Thank so much, any input or advice always helps keep me calm.

@deeflannery I'm going to a new practice in a few weeks and will ask for nitrous for my cleaning. It will require I set aside more time for the appointment, but at least the time will go by quickly.

Hello All! Haven't been on here in a while, so thought I would post an update on my progress so far. I am so proud of myself for how far I've come!

I have had all of my fillings done and, wait for it.....I had 3 of 4 wisdom teeth extracted. I was absolutely terrified to have them out, but I realized I had come this far, and conquered so much of my anxiety, that I knew I had to keep going and see it through. And it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I had them removed under IV sedation, which I will say is for sure the way to go when having them removed. I have no memory at all of the surgery. It literally felt like I was in the chair for 10 mins.

The after care also wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, and honestly, I kind of breezed through it! Took all my medications as prescribed, and took Advil as needed, but there wasn't even any real pain, just soreness and discomfort, but it was completely manageable.

The more and more I proceed in this journey, the more I realize that I should have done all of this years ago, and it's 100% worse in my head than it actually is.

I still have anxiety when I have to go to my dental office, but I now know that it's going to be okay, and that I found the right dentist for me.

For anyone reading this and feeling that anxiety, please know that the waiting and leading up to that first appointment is the absolute worst part of the whole process, and that it isn't nearly as scary or painful as we have convinced ourselves it will be. Dental procedures and technology has come so far, and it's also so important to find the right dentist for you and your needs. When you do, there are so many options available to make the process as easy as it can be for you.

I am so glad that I finally took the leap and faced my fears, and the relief of that feels so amazing!

Hello All! Haven't been on here in a while, so thought I would post an update on my progress so far. I am so proud of myself for how far I've come!

I have had all of my fillings done and, wait for it.....I had 3 of 4 wisdom teeth extracted. I was absolutely terrified to have them out, but I realized I had come this far, and conquered so much of my anxiety, that I knew I had to keep going and see it through. And it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I had them removed under IV sedation, which I will say is for sure the way to go when having them removed. I have no memory at all of the surgery. It literally felt like I was in the chair for 10 mins.

The after care also wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, and honestly, I kind of breezed through it! Took all my medications as prescribed, and took Advil as needed, but there wasn't even any real pain, just soreness and discomfort, but it was completely manageable.

The more and more I proceed in this journey, the more I realize that I should have done all of this years ago, and it's 100% worse in my head than it actually is.

I still have anxiety when I have to go to my dental office, but I now know that it's going to be okay, and that I found the right dentist for me.

For anyone reading this and feeling that anxiety, please know that the waiting and leading up to that first appointment is the absolute worst part of the whole process, and that it isn't nearly as scary or painful as we have convinced ourselves it will be. Dental procedures and technology has come so far, and it's also so important to find the right dentist for you and your needs. When you do, there are so many options available to make the process as easy as it can be for you.

I am so glad that I finally took the leap and faced my fears, and the relief of that feels so amazing!
Great to read