• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appt @ 10:30 Monday... so scared

E

evanpelt17

Hey guys. So, quick update. I went in for my consultation yesterday and the assistant was kind of nice I guess. The doctor came in to meet me. Apparently, my top two wisdom teeth are soft tissue impactions and my bottom two are partial bony. What a nightmare! I thought they had all erupted! Anyway, so I met the doctor you all have seen. We had a 4:30pm consultation and while this woman has stellar reviews, I unfortunately felt a bit rushed. The office closes at 5pm and it kind of seemed like she just wanted to go home. Unfortunately, although the assistant said that taking a Valium beforehand could help with just getting to the office, the doctor ultimately told me not to take it. My mom was with me in the appointment saying things like, “she’ll be fine” and other things that made me anxiety feel disregarded. I asked the doctor how hard my extractions will be and she said, “you’re middle of the road.” Oof. As I mentioned before, I thought I had a fifth wisdom tooth. However, this apparently didn’t show up on any x-rays, but SOMETHING is hurting my ear. Anyway, can anyone please respond to me? I’m losing my MIND with anxiety and dread and am pretty sure I’m going to die on Monday in the chair. I’m getting IV and the doctor said that she would be giving me an IV before doing the local injections. The doctor also said that she would be reaching out to the dentist office back in Austin and seeing about the fifth tooth, so I guess I won’t really know if it’s going to be five teeth until minutes before the procedure starts. This is a real nightmare scenario and I would love some help right now. I’m on edge 1,000%.

Thank you!
Emma

Hi Emma,

well done on moving forward and scheduling the extraction. I am sure you will be really happy when this is over. It sounds like while the encounter with your oral surgeon wasn't too great, it wasn't too bad either. Given the level of your anxiety and how you felt before the appointment, it wouldn't be too realistic to expect you would be perfectly fine before your appointment on Monday. I understand your anxiety is over the roof and you are imagining all kinds of negative stuff, but I am quite sure you will be fine. You definitely won't die in the chair.
It's ok to have anxiety and feel like crap, but it is also good to separate what you feel from what you think, if that makes sense. May I ask you what it is that makes you believe you would die in the chair? And what is it that makes this a nightmare scenario for you? And what is it that would help you to feel a bit better?

We have many success stories regarding wisdom teeth here on the forum and many stories about succesful IV sedation, maybe reading some would give you some reassurance?

All the best wishes and give yourself a pat on the back for making it through the consultation. Also hope things with your mom have calmed down a bit.

Hi Enarete,
Pain terrifies me! Also, I’m afraid I won’t bear it and I’m afraid my body will think it’s too much and I’ll die of trauma.

Ok. There won't be any pain during the procedure as you will be number up. If you stick with painkillers, there won't be any pain afterwards. I know this is hard, but try to keep your imagination controlled - the pain you imagine sounds like torture an not like what is happening after a dental procedure. Again, with painkillers you will be completely fine. Did you discuss this worries with your surgeon?

Yes, and all she said is she’d numb me and shit and I got hydrocodone. Does hydrocodone work good?

Sounds good. Hydrocodone will definitely work good. The most of us went through wisdom teeth recovery with tylenol and advil, if you got hydrocodone you will be absolutely fine.

Have you ever had hydrocodone?

Emma,

I get Hydrocodone when I have heavy work. It works lovely.. I suggest you for sure take something to eat.. if I take it without food I get nauscious. but besides that it takes away pain quickly in a few minutes. You can't drive on it.. so I only use it at night for pain when given then alternate with tylenol/advil daytime.

Emma,

I get Hydrocodone when I have heavy work. It works lovely.. I suggest you for sure take something to eat.. if I take it without food I get nauscious. but besides that it takes away pain quickly in a few minutes. You can't drive on it.. so I only use it at night for pain when given then alternate with tylenol/advil daytime.
How fast does it work?

From what I remember about 10-15 be fully it fully kicks in. Also I get the kind w hydrocodone and acetaminophen mix. I think called norco

My appointment is at 10:30. My grandma is taking me because my mom is gonna be on a conference call for work. I hope I survive. I hope the pain isn’t too bad.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers especially tomorrow morning!! :grouphug:

You’ve been so generous in all this. Thank you so much.

Good luck, evanpelt17, may all go well! :clover: Keep us updated.

Good luck! You will be just fine and later will be feeling a lot of relief that it is done!

Back