• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appt tomorrow. Need support.

C

Cali04

So it's been a couple years since my last visit. I am embarrassed and ashamed. My teeth/gum have been hurting when I bite down. I just realized there is a lump on my upper right gum (in the area where it hurts). It is hard. Do you think it is an abscess? I can sometimes feel the pain around my right eye. Is this normal? Tylenol takes the pain away in within minutes and usually lasts about 8 hours. I am super scared. I could not sleep last night. I can't talk about this with my family because they have no idea how long it's been since my last visit and I don't want to upset them. If I have to get a root canal, how long is the recovery? I can't take off work. Thanks for any advice. I really need some right now.

Hi and Welcome!
I'm so very sorry to hear you are scared and in pain. We all know the feeling all too well. You've come to the right place! I don't know what is going on, I'd guess it could very well be an abcess causing that lump - have you had your wisdom teeth out yet?? Sometimes teeth coming in cause hard bumps and my uppers caused what felt like sinus pain/infection that could be like what you feel around your eye.

The tough part of this is you won't know until you see someone who knows...a dentist. I'm sorry. I KNOW that is the absolute last thing you want to hear but sometimes it is better to know what you are dealing with than to worry and wonder. All you'll do is lose sleep. Trust me, I've been there.

As for the root canal...they can be done in a couple hours and if you haven't chosen sedation then you can go back to work, just like if you had a filling, at least that is what I was told. Of course that is a very general answer...and I'm sure it can change depending on how complicated or easy your root canal is and if you feel up to it. Most of the time though I think he said like 90% they are done in one appointment, just like a filling kind of appointment so you'd be numb but you could still work and go back to work the next day. l can tell you I could not have worked the day after...but that was just me. I let my tooth go way, way too long before I got help. A couple years away from the dentist isn't ideal but I've only been twice in 20 years if that makes you feel any better. No one needs to know specifics...your family included. You can say you don't remember or say a year ago or whatever...it really doesn't matter, what is important is that you get the help you need when you need it, which sounds like now.

I'm sure others will join in and share their experience too. Hope this helps a little.

Thank you so much for your response. This is my first time on the forum. I did not realize how many people are affected by this. I thought I was the only one!

All l went well today. I did not have a cleaning, a doctor just checked my teeth. He said everything looked fine. No cavities or abscess. I asked why the pain then and he said my teeth need a good cleaning. So I hope that's right. The bump is a bone. I set up an appointment for the cleaning but it isn't until mid September. Just hoping this pain goes away. Oh and to top it off, my doctor knows my dad. I was like please don't tell him how long it's been. They aren't allowed to give the info. Correct?

also, everyone was very supportive. They said a lot of people avoid the dentist until a problem occurs. So my next steps is paying attention to the pain and waiting until my next appointment. I wish it was sooner so I could get it over with!!

Last edited:
Hi Cali04

Firstly well done for making and keeping the appointment :welldone: It takes courage to do that.

Secondly great news that you don't need anything invasive, that's a great result:jump:

Your dentist will be bound by patient confidentiality so He won't be mentioning anything to your dad.

kind Regards

Back