• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Are anti-inflammatory & antibiotics always necessary?

• Thread starter ButterfliesInHerEyes
  • Start date
B

ButterfliesInHerEyes

My surgery is fast approaching and as I've said many times on here, in one appointment (one day) I will be having all my teeth extracted, implants put in (4 upper 4 lower) and implants (arch). Under general anesthesia because my dentist doesn't think IV sedation will be enough for me given my PTSD issues.

My question is, for this type of surgery, are anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics always necessary? I have been prescribed these along with Tylenol 3s and I'll have to take them for a week following surgery.

So is this a must? Will it interfere with my healing or is the dentist just covering all angles to make sure there isn't a problem? Because if I really don't have to take them, I won't.... some of you may remember I'm the one with the severe debilitating vomiting phobia. This combination of drugs, especially right after general anesthesia, sounds like a recipe for major nausea and vomiting.

Thanks in advance. Oh and I welcome replies from anyone/everyone - not just dentists. Thanks.

:hidesbehindsofa: I'm scared.

Could you ask your dentist if nausea/vomiting are known side effects of this drug? Some drugs actually have the opposite effect (i.e. suppression of nausea) or no effect re. nausea whatsoever so it's not at all a given that the drugs you have been prescribed are a "recipe for major nausea and vomiting" :).

For example, midazolam (the drug used for IV sedation) actually produces much less nausea than a placebo. There are so many different antibiotics available today and even though some of them can produce nausea as a side effect, many others don't. Best thing would be to ask your dentist about the specific drugs they have in mind. If any of them do have nausea as a side effect, you could ask about alternatives. You should also let your dentist know about your emetophobia so they can prescribe accordingly!

Thanks. The dentist knows - the whole dental team knows. And they're being careful to prescribe medicines that are least likely to cause nausea. But, of course, my fear tells me that they WILL make me sick and I don't want to be in pain AND nauseous, you know? That would be awful. Pain I can handle, nausea I can't. So if these aren't a must, I don't even want to take them. Don't want to chance it. This whole thing is going to be hard enough for me, I don't need the added stress of taking meds that I don't really need.

Hey
The NSAID is strictly for helping with the post-operative pain and swelling, it is not so important for the implants successful integration with the bone tissue.
However, the antibiotics are indeed needed for successful integration of the implants.

Thank you, Dr. Daniel. I'm fairly confident I can get through any pain with over-the-counter Advil or Tylenol. And the swelling with ice packs.

When I think of the pain I've endured living with bad teeth, I can't imagine this pain being much worse.

Maybe I'm being delusional. ;D

I think it would be much easier than you think;)

I hope you're right! :)

Hi ButterfliesInHerEyes

Me too, will fight it at all costs! Fear of nausea, vomiting and dentists are, so I've been told, linked .... nothing would surprise me.

I had 13 teeth out and 6 implants under GA followed by painkillers and antibiotics. I also requested an anti sickness injection when I had the surgery ..... it worked perfectly :thumbsup:
The antibiotics I took religiously but only took the painkillers for a couple of days as I had no pain, only an aching face.

.......... And if I knew then what I know now I too would have had them all out and a full set of implants .... they are brilliant ;)
:)

I'm so happy for you, April! And hearing your experience reassures me because I'm getting 17 teeth (what's left of them) removed and 8 implants - 4 top and 4 bottom. So pretty much the same as you. I hope mine goes as well as yours. Fingers crossed.

I will definitely take the antibiotic even if I have to take some Gravol with it, because I don't want to have to deal with an infection.

Back