• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Are antibiotics necessary afterwards?

K

klutch

Just got 2 of my erupted wisdom teeth pulled. I told the oral surgeon my fear of feeling nauseous or throwing up and the side effects of pain pills and antibiotics. He still prescribed me vicodin and 500mg amoxicillin to be taken 3x a day for 7 days! After the tooth extractions he said i dont have to take the pain meds if i dont want but i should take the antibiotics to prevent an infection. My question is do i REALLY need to take the antibiotics and has anyone taken amoxicillin and your experience with it?

I am allergic to penicillin so cannot take the Amoxicillin.

The Dentist did stress that it was important so maybe he saw a reason for an infection to develop. Could you ring up and ask if you could wait to see what would happen if you didn't take it. :)

Just got 2 of my erupted wisdom teeth pulled. I told the oral surgeon my fear of feeling nauseous or throwing up and the side effects of pain pills and antibiotics. He still prescribed me vicodin and 500mg amoxicillin to be taken 3x a day for 7 days! After the tooth extractions he said i dont have to take the pain meds if i dont want but i should take the antibiotics to prevent an infection. My question is do i REALLY need to take the antibiotics and has anyone taken amoxicillin and your experience with it?

I was on antibiotics for 14 days instead of 7 because of the dry socket. It's not pleasant, but first comes the mistake, why i did it, because it was an asymptomic tooth but i was lied to by a dentist it will not hurt taking it out and it's safe. Even 1 single pill if antibiotics is enough not to be worth of taking an asymptomic wisdom tooth out, not to mention the pain.

Back