• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Are my problems common

T

Trona

I had all my remaining teeth extracted on February 8, 2007 (7 uppers and 6 lowers, many broken off at the gum line) and had immediate dentures installed. They needed to do some sutures. They installed the dentures and said to make an appointment in 7 days to have the sutures removed. I asked the nurse as I was leaving if there would be any pain during the 7 days. She said there would be some and asked if I wanted any pain pills. Not knowing what it would be like I said ok and she prescribed some lower tab and told me to rinse with warm salt water 2 or 3 times a day. After 4 days, the pain from rubbing against my gums was so bad the pain pills were doing nothing. I started doubling up on the pain pills and called the dentist to see if there was something wrong. I was told that it was too early to come in and that I would have to wait at least 1 more day. Nothing was said about me doubling up on the pain pills. I went in the next day and they removed the dentures. The pain of removing them was almost unbareable. It felt like my gums were being torn. The dentist said that I had several ulsers on my gums, three were realy bad. He ground my dentures in places, added a padding resin, replaced the dentures and said to come back in 7 days. They gave me a bottle of mouth rinse to use at night and after breakfast and told me to remove my dentures at night and eat only soft foods. I tried to eat soft food, but it caused my lower denture to pop up over the sores on my lower gums so I did not even try again. The pain of removing at night and inserting them in the morning brought tears to my eyes and I could not sleep well at night for fear of what I was going to face in the morning. I kept thinking there had to be something that I could use inside of the dentures to make them slip on easier. I tried to use olive oil, but it did not work. I wanted to call the dentist again to see if there was something I could use, but I seemed to get the same run around. Wait for your next appointment, and they would be adjusted. I finally looked on the internet under "denture Problems" and there was information of all kinds of creams, gels and pastes that could help in the pain of putting them on as well as helping them go on easier. All of the OTC items had one thing in common, 20% bensocaine. I bought a gel and used it for the first time this morning. I put the gel inside the dentures and on my gums before putting them on. For the first time since I got my dentures, I did not cry while insurting them. I no longer have the dread of putting them in in the morning. I still have the gum sores but the gel allowed them to slip over the sores with minimal pain.

Now, let me get to my questions.

Is there some reason why I was not told about the gels available>

Will the gels cause additional problems, such as slowing down the healing process?

Is the pain and gum sores normal and, if so, why was I not told what to expect?

How long will it take for the gum sores to go away?

Is it normal to feel a bone like protrusion unter the sores on my upper front gums?

Oh you poor dear, I really feel for you. I had all my teeth extracted and full immediate dentures fitted but I seem to have been much luckier than you. Unfortunately you didn't seem to have been well informed before the event. I started taking painkillers immediately I came round from IV sedation, before the numbness wore off and continued taking for nearly a week so I never felt pain. I had dissolvable stitches so never had the problem of having to have them removed, they just disappeared on their own within 2 weeks.
It is quite common that you will be fairly sore to start with,firstly your gums are swollen from the extractions and also as the impressions for your dentures were made while you had your own teeth, the dentures could only be made from those and a bit of guesswork as to how your gums will be, remember they will be shrinking so the dentures will loosen and you will need reliners before the time arrives when your gums get to their final state and you can have your permanent dentures made.
By gel, do you mean fixative? Because if not I would be very interested in hearing what you are now putting in to stop them hurting.
You do seem to have had a hard time of it and I am very surprised that when you have been in pain, they have said wait the 7 days.
As for most of your questions, I cannot answer I am afraid, my own experience only tells me that the soreness from the actual extractions soon disappears but if the dentures are not fitting well, and move as you talk or eat, then you will get sore points and definitely should ask for immediately adjustments, reliners or whatever is needed.
I do so hope things improve with you. Having dentures can be as natural as having your own teeth and I'm sure you will soon get to that happy state. Do let us know how you get on and in the meantime, I'm sure one of our friendly dentists will be able to answer your queries.

Now, let me get to my questions.

Is there some reason why I was not told about the gels available>

Will the gels cause additional problems, such as slowing down the healing process?

Is the pain and gum sores normal and, if so, why was I not told what to expect?

How long will it take for the gum sores to go away?

Is it normal to feel a bone like protrusion unter the sores on my upper front gums?

1) I don't know why in your particular dentist's case, but I don't usually mention them because they're not usually effective in helping with these kinds of problems.
2) Nope
3) About a fortnight at worst case
4) Hard to say without seeing