• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Are pulp caps elective?

H

handofachlys

I have a question for you guys. I just went to the dentist and when I was done, they said "we put in this protective layer called a pulp cap... it will help prevent root canals but you may eventually need one anyway." I said ok. Then I got to the register and its $95 bucks a tooth!... for a total of $285 bucks!

Didnt they have to ask me before they did that? Is the pulp cap really worth it?

I appreciate ANYTHING you can tell me!

Katie

A pulp cap is done when the cavity is so large that the dentist gets close to the nerve during decay removal. The procedure gives the pulp a chance to "heal" and lay down material between the pulp and the decay. If he or she didn't do the procedure and during the decay removal process exposed the pulp, you would need a root canal which would end up being WAY more expensive. In short, a pulp cap is worth a try.

Back