• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Are wisdom teeth more difficult to remove than regular molars?

S

SummerSunshine

So, I have three wisdom teeth instead of four. My bottom ones are erupted, and they grew in perfectly, except for the one on my right side, which is slightly covered by a flap of gum. The picture I added, shows them, the one on my left side, she's going to add a filling and let me keep it, and the plan was to remove the other two, and that wisdom tooth remaining was going to try to replace that molar she had to take out, and try braces to push my teeth together and correct my overbite.

Now, Monday, I just had tooth #30 (my first molar) removed due to infection (I covered the spot, in case anyone is queasy about it), and I'm wondering if there would be anyway to save that, if possible, it does have a cavity in it.

It being fully erupted, just makes me wonder if it would be any more difficult to remove? My top left is a different story, it's kinda either not grown in/not fully formed, it's like I can only feel the "crown" part of it. It was difficult to get a picture of that one.be8bac2a3da4d0ea9a15ca7d13ccc25d.jpg

Hi there,

not a dentist, but wisdom teeth are "normal" teeth as well, I have seen them coming out very easily very often and have also seen non-wisdom teeth coming out easily and also coming out not so easily. It depends on the tooth. Your dentist might be able to tell you what to expect.
Is there anything in particular you are worried about?

All the best wishes

Hi there,

not a dentist, but wisdom teeth are "normal" teeth as well, I have seen them coming out very easily very often and have also seen non-wisdom teeth coming out easily and also coming out not so easily. It depends on the tooth. Your dentist might be able to tell you what to expect.
Is there anything in particular you are worried about?

All the best wishes

Not really, when I get some insurance, I am going to resume my treatment plan, which includes 6 more fillings, including the left wisdom tooth and two more extractions, that wisdom tooth on the right and a left top wisdom tooth, which I don't think formed all the way, all I can feel is like the top part of the tooth, the crown, but it has never caused me any pain (but I know it's gotta come out).

I plan on trying to save up for an implant for the tooth that was just removed (blacked out on the picture), but that will be awhile, and I'm not sure if it's possible to be able save that wisdom tooth because it's partly covered by a flap of gum, and once it comes out and if I don't have the implant yet, I'm down to one molar on that side.

Back