• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Are you supposed to still be able to feel cold sensations in the area after being numbed?

• Thread starter ImNotASpammerYouIdiots
  • Start date
I

ImNotASpammerYouIdiots

Are you supposed to still be able to feel cold sensations in the area after being numbed?

Every cavity I have filled has not exactly been comfortable. They weren't excruciating, but there were some moments where I felt an uncomfortable cold, dull, gnawing sort of sensation during the drilling.

My cheeks and lip get numb, but I'm just not sure the tooth is ever numb/completely numb.

Re: Are you supposed to still be able to feel cold sensations in the area after being numbed?

Hi -

Sadly I have more experience with this than I would like! Had a few occasions where the anaesthetic has not worked properly.

No, you shouldn't be able to feel that. Your tooth was not totally numb there. The only sensations you should feel are pressure and vibration, none of the 'uncomfortable gnawing sensation' you describe (totally get what you mean by that)

Like you, I've had occasions where my lip and cheeks are numb but the tooth is not - in my case it's due to unusual anatomy - so it can certainly happen.

The good news is that it *is* possible to get totally numb and not feel this - next time you have treatment, make a point of telling the dentist about this, there should be more they can do for you. It may be as simple as just needing a top-up of anaesthetic, or they may need to try a different type of injection. Some people are just harder to numb than others, but with the dentist putting in a bit of effort it should be possible for everybody.

Back