• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Argh, back to square one...

D

deano85

Hi guys, just looking to vent a little. I feel like I'm back to square one again, where I went over 17 years without seeing a dentist.
I'd been ok,going to checkups etc, then pre COVID had a filling, first filling since my mass fillings which was all under sedation about 10 years ago(prier to that,17 years without seeing a dentist) filling was ok, but the local anisthetic jabs were really painfull, to the point I turned down the 3rd jab and got on with it...
Then covid...
2 years not seeing a dentist,with that experience lingering on my mind.

January/February time this year, I had alfull toothache (posted on here about it), saw a dentist, couldn't see anything wrong, lots of x-rays etc... The worst Was over by the time I got an appointment,so we left it, but was told if it continues to give me hassle, it would be RCT or extraction... For a tooth with nothing wrong...
Oh,he did find a chip on another tooth which he filled, with the knowledge that if it came out, it may need a crown

Filling lasted 10 days, and tooth is still hurting 3 months later, and I just cant bring myself to make to he call... No way, no how...
Such a huge step back...
I don't know if it's because I know what may be involved? The lack of faith?
Argh, driving me crazy

Hi deano85,

sorry to read about your situation. Reading it I was thinking if you feel being on square one then it may be a good idea to tackle that from square one as well. You have mentioned a lot of things around the treatment, but I was wondering how do you like your dentist and also has there been any measures to decrease your anxiety? Also, the painful jabs experienca - was it with the dentist you were considering seeing? Your hesitation to schedule makes a lot of sense if that was one of your last experiences.

All the best wishes

Hi, the first time I tackled this problem, I'd gone 17 years and problems were mounting up,so felt like I had little choice than to go, plus after my initial checkup,it was always going to be under sedation... I've heard local sedation appointments with NHS are about 18 months so not really an option like square 1.
The bad jabs years later,are my only experience of jabs normally.
It's the same dental practice but a different dentist, the bad jabs was a lady, the later chats was with a man, but I'm not sure if it's a case of you have whoever is available?? Weirdly,I preferred the lady, she spoke more, and was generally lovely.

Back