• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Arrrggghhhhh....RCT tomorrow!

I

Inagony

Well, after many months :rolleyes: it's RCT time for me...at 3.40 tomorrow :scared:.

I'm happy with Mr Phillips, but OMG! IT's just hit me... :scared:

I don't even know how many appointments I'll need, but I think I'll be happy to just get this horrible temporary filling out of my mouth...been there since April :(

I've talked to the Practice Manager about the ££££, and they're more than happy to let me spread the payments as it's £210 just for the RCT.

Hopefully all will go well...I'll let you know tomorrow :thumbsup:

Hi Inagony
You'll be fine - just don't let them proceed if you are not sufficiently numb. Glad you didn't take the other option! I know you're happy with him but did you tell him what happened as a child and that you used to be a dental nurse etc?

Only ever had one root canal 16 years ago - 100% painless - don't think he even told me that was what he had done until afterwards - very tactful but probably against consent rules of today! I agreed to an exploratory drill into the tooth under anaesthesia - which is what it is I suppose. They used to call it 'taking out the nerve' I think. I trusted him as I'd being going there quite happily for several years and he did not disappoint.

Let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Brit

:jump: :jump: :jump:I DID IT :jump: :jump: :jump:

I finally got my RCT done yesterday...and its all complete, thanks to the fancy gadgetry he has.

All went fairly well, part of the reamer broke off, and is stuck in my root...he apologised, but I know these things happen, and it shouldn't cause me any problems (just as long as it doesn't set of airport security ;D) I had my first experience of a rubber dam, not fantastic, but I coped. He did offer to remove it a number of times, but that would just prolong the experience (I was in the chair 1hr 45 mins!). The worst was the slow drill....I was shaking and crying but he was lovely.

Day after holiday is my crown prep...he really wants to crown it, as apparently due to decay (caused in part by the tooth being left cracked and 'open' so long by the previous dentist) I have only about a quarter of my tooth left below the gumline - and it's therefore brittle.

He was fantastic....I think we may be onto a breakthrough...just hope he doesn't go anywhere too quickly ;)

Couldn't have done it without you guys :grouphug:

:cheers:

Cheers to you. You did great.

Take care,

Melody

:jump:Welldone I have never had a RCT thankfully, I get nervous enough just about having a filling done, you have coped really well.

Back