• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Articaine/surgical grade numbing and amitriptyline??

It would be my pleasure to remove it for you if you fancy a wee trip up to the Highlands, do you know how to make Empire Biscuits?

There are a load of dry mouth products around you can try, the Biotene range of creams and mouthwashes are pretty good. Duraphat toothpaste is a really good idea, the dryness during the night isn't actually a big deal, apart from making your mouth feel like a parrot's cage, the teeth can cope with that part of it.
There's also an artificial saliva called Saliva Orthana which you may find a big help, your doctor or dentist can prescribe it for you.

I think you may be onto something with your theory of why you're getting harder to get numb, the more anxious people are in general the worse they take to LA.

It would be my pleasure to remove it for you if you fancy a wee trip up to the Highlands, do you know how to make Empire Biscuits?

There are a load of dry mouth products around you can try, the Biotene range of creams and mouthwashes are pretty good. Duraphat toothpaste is a really good idea, the dryness during the night isn't actually a big deal, apart from making your mouth feel like a parrot's cage, the teeth can cope with that part of it.
There's also an artificial saliva called Saliva Orthana which you may find a big help, your doctor or dentist can prescribe it for you.

I think you may be onto something with your theory of why you're getting harder to get numb, the more anxious people are in general the worse they take to LA.

I have absolutely no idea how to make Empire Biscuits but Id be happy to learn if it meant being free of this annoying tooth!

If nothing else the 'parrots cage' comment made me laugh out loud! So thanks for making this awful subject a bit more bearable!!
I'm going to make a note of those products and ask my dentist about them too, thank you. I'll also stick with the duraphat for now and keep ranking up the electricity bill with my humungous humidifier! After a few phone calls I'm told my referal/appointment should be here within a fortnight, so keep everything crossed for me...! But if you come home one night to find a woman lurking in your shrubbery and clutching a Tupperware box of Empire biscuits you'll know it didn't work out!

That's not a problem, I don't have any shrubbery :)

I'm getting so fed up. The 'youll be seen within 2 month's' has now turned to 3 (and counting).. Now the 'youll be seen within the fortnight' actually meant we'll ring you at the end of the fortnight (just now) to book in a consultation for 3 weeks time after that, then probably make you wait another fortnight till anything is actually done! Providing they can numb me up at that point that is. I can see me ending up in Hospital under general.. And god knows how long that would take if it were to happen!

To say I'm miserable is a real understatement. I'm sure they've just been telling me a load of rubbish just to get me to shut up and go away.

Just wondering out loud, with the recent changes in the NHS and GP committees now commissioning health services, is it possible to ask your GP to send you out of your area (presuming you are able to travel)? It seems odd that there appears to be a fully functioning community dental service catering to adults with dental phobia in Northamptonshire for example, but not in some of the nearby counties. Postcode lottery!

Just wondering out loud, with the recent changes in the NHS and GP committees now commissioning health services, is it possible to ask your GP to send you out of your area (presuming you are able to travel)? It seems odd that there appears to be a fully functioning community dental service catering to adults with dental phobia in Northamptonshire for example, but not in some of the nearby counties. Postcode lottery!

I don't think so.. One of the reasons my partners referal took so long was because his dentist was in derby (closer to work - ie less time taken off for appointments), but because we live in Leicester it was Leicester PCT we needed.. So his initial referal got returned, at that point he had to go back and begin the process again.

I had my referal appointment the other day, my actual appointment date to have a tooth taken out is at the end of June, so only another 6 weeks to go, by the time it comes around I will have waited 6 months?!
As it happens its not even the tooth thats causing me pain today, its another one that they cant seem to locate, they say its one of two teeth, both of which have deep fillings so even that toothache isnt straight forward!
Did i mention the filling she did a few weeks ago has fallen out? That hole keeps filling up when i eat, strikes the nerve then hurts, yet he said to deal with the referal tooth first.. urgh, when will this end. I'm utterly miserable at the moment, how anyone can put up with me I don't know, right now I'm in bed so I don't have to try and pretend I'm ok I infront of the guest we've got for the weekend. I'm so sick of the whole thing.

Anyway, he seemed to think it was ok to give me numbing injections with adrenaline in even though I'm on amitryptlene and have an irregular heartbeat.. Most of the info went over my head, but he seems to think that because I've been able to get numb at a recent appointment (recent as in the last few yrs) that I could be numbed again, and that adrenaline injections are fine and will work better than the last lot, he seems to think that the fact i felt so ill (heart racing etc) was a natural responce.. im just hoping hes right, i have no idea how i will react to adrenaline LA shots as he will be using them for the first time since I've been on medication.
He mentioned something about trying a different placement too, which I understood.. But with regards to the adrenaline in the shots that went over my head a bit, something about aspiration and blood vessels!?!?

Sorry for moaning :/

Don't worry about the moaning, you aren't, compared to some of us on here myself included your moans are mild. You give it all you have got, we do.

Over a year ago I was on amitriptyline and I had loads of dental injections for treatment with no adverse effects, so please don't worry. If anything did happen they are trained to deal with it, BUT IT WON'T.

I waited about 6 months also for treatment at a dental hospital, I am having a rct re treatment. They are very good. I am glad you have finally got your appointment.

I think your dentist should fill the tooth with the hole in it, even if only to put a temp one in to protect it and keep you out of pain.:XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

Sometimes when you inject the anaesthetic, you inadvertently hit a small vein, so the local anaesthetic is given IV rather than into the muscle. This produces the rapid heart beat and other symptoms that you describe.

It's avoided by using what's called an aspirating technique, basically a way of checking that you're not in a vein before giving the injection.

Don't worry about the moaning, you aren't, compared to some of us on here myself included your moans are mild. You give it all you have got, we do.

Over a year ago I was on amitriptyline and I had loads of dental injections for treatment with no adverse effects, so please don't worry. If anything did happen they are trained to deal with it, BUT IT WON'T.

I waited about 6 months also for treatment at a dental hospital, I am having a rct re treatment. They are very good. I am glad you have finally got your appointment.

I think your dentist should fill the tooth with the hole in it, even if only to put a temp one in to protect it and keep you out of pain.:XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

Thank you for that :)

I know Google is rarely your friend and usually best avoided, but I've found it virtually impossible trying to find someone on the same medication and having dentistry procedures etc. I hardly ever take medication unless I really really have to, paracetamol included! So this amitryptlene is new territory for me and probably made me over cautious :/ thank you though, it's nice to hear from someone in a similar position :)

Sometimes when you inject the anaesthetic, you inadvertently hit a small vein, so the local anaesthetic is given IV rather than into the muscle. This produces the rapid heart beat and other symptoms that you describe.

It's avoided by using what's called an aspirating technique, basically a way of checking that you're not in a vein before giving the injection.

Thank you Gordon, you've answered a fair amount of queries from me! I really appreciate it :)

I am like you in that I hate taking any meds at all. I was reluctant to take the amitriptyline and only took it in the end because I was and had been in total agony for months with face pain. It turned out to be an untreated abscess when I got to see a competent dentist so I stopped taking it. But before I did I had plenty of injections with no adverse effects.

I hate and am afraid of tablets or meds in any form, but unfortunately sometimes in life they are unavoidable even though I have to be near feeling like I am dying before I give in and take something. I always have some nasty price to pay. But I must admit the dosage I was on didn't do anything to me. I did however take advice from my sister and after the Dr told me to take it just before I went to bed, she piped up and said don't because if you take them too late you don't wake up early and when you do get up late it can leave you feeling groggy. Which it did with me, so I took it at about 6pm to 7pm and I woke up okay after that.

Good luck with your treatment the anitriptyline won't effect anything. But do make sure your dentist knows that you take it and anything else you might be taking too. As if they don't know it can made a difference.

My appointment was yesterday, at times it felt like it was never going to come.. But in the last few days running up to it i was considering rebooking for a later date as the tooth hadnt hurt in a while (isnt that always the way!), but I figured there was no point waiting for an abscess or for the breaks in pain to become nonexistent, and quite rightly my partner pointed out it was worth going just to make sure there was an anaesthetic that would work.

And it did! Thank god!

He was such a lovely man. He didn't make me feel like I was mental or a burden because of my anxiety. He explained what was happening, he'd also booked me for a double appointment because of the numbing issues. He didn't use any adrenaline injections, and said he would only use a little bit incase the another injection needed a bit of help to numb me (I hope this isn't the part where someone says you shouldn't mix them or anything!?). He also kept hiding the needles behind his back! I could see them out the corner of my eye, but bless him for trying to hide them from me!
I got that gel on a pad to help with the injections too, which has never happened before.. He also took his time giving them.. In total I had four lots, and to be honest there was a couple of times where I felt like I was going to be sick, I was also really really dizzy at the end and my arms were weirdly floppy, but I'm not sure if that was me or the injections? I am glad it worked. There was times where I was worried the tooth wasn't going to come out though, and at one point I said "it's not coming out is it?" I don't know what I would've done if he had replied with a no..! I did have a moment, where during the nausea I just wanted to run away but I stuck it out. I did feel incredibly sick, same as last time.. So no doubt I will be worried about it happening again(!), but the injections worked and he removed the tooth. It did take some time, a lot longer than its taken in the past, he stopped several times to give me a break, I sort of wanted him not to, and inside I was thinking 'not again.. Please get on with it so I can get the hell out of here!' But I think he was right to let me have a break, it probably forced me to get myself together rather than leg it!

I did check prior to starting the extraction that it was the right thing to do, he didn't seem to want to say either way whether I should save it or pull it, so I was glad not to be pushed into anything, but he did say that the issues sound like the nerve is already irritated and there wasn't really a way to tell just how bad it was till he got in to look.. I had the option of a root canal if a filling failed, but I'm just not ready for that and to me the tooth looked awful, beyond saving with a filling.. But For me, I just felt that pulling it out was the way to go, and thankfully it was.. He asked me if I wanted to see the tooth once it was out but I definitely did not, I doubt my tummy would handle it(!), but my partner wanted to look (strange man!) and the dentist explained that the tooth didn't look too bad from the outside, but that the hole ran from one side to another and the inside was a total mess, so I'm lucky to not have been awake with it night after night I think! Oh, and the roots were massive, which is probably why it took so long!

All in all I'm really pleased with him, he was so nice. I just hope he doesn't leave, the good ones always seem to!

S I'm to leave this one to heal then go back to discuss the other one that's causing me pain, he said its best that way, so I at least have somewhere to chew my food!

Really happy with him :) there are nice people out there after all!

Last edited:
Congratulations :jump::jump::jump::dance2::dance2::dance2::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::dance::dance::dance::yayy::wow::perfect::you-rock: and well done. I am glad you have found a lovely dentist that is putting your needs first. At least now you have the confidence to return and get the treatment you need in the future. Follow the aftercare instructions, I hope you have a good healing. I am sure you will :butterfly:

I think this wonderful dentist is worth a mention in the dentist recommendations? He sounds like a darling :)

Coolin
:jump:

I figured its best I keep all my posts in one place?

Basically Ive been thinking, and I don't know if I should find another dentist, for no other reason than being able to get in sooner!

The new referral dentist is fine, I can finally have pain free dentistry, but the problem is the length of time it takes for an appointment with him.
I'm stuck, in that I can only been seen by him and he's an oral surgeon (? I think that's the title,) so people from all over the county get referred to him, alongside his regular patients. I'm in pain and have another fortnight to wait until my consultation re this 2nd extraction, then I assume another 2 months until another appointment is free for actual treatment. Baring in mind this all began back in January.. We're now in September!

I'm just fed up of this misery. I've got a kitchen being fitted so my house is a bomb site that I need to put right, I have a little boy to look after and I'm just spending my days in pain, miserable and unable to function properly through pain and lack of sleep. I just see no end in sight and am close to tears pretty much all the time now.

Further to this second extraction I have pain in all four quadrants from other teeth and there's still no plan in place to get them sorted/get me out of pain.. My fiancé just keeps saying "don't worry, it will be over soon" and it just annoys me, how does he know it will be over soon.. How can It be over soon when it took 7 months just to sort one tooth?!!

So, should I find someone else, or is this normal wait times for NHS dentistry? (Well, I say 'find someone else', but then theres the worry over another new dentist being able to numb me!! See why I feel there's no way out sometimes :( I feel like crying!)

Sorry for being a misery.

Back