• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

ASMR for Dental Fear?

B

BeachGirl787

Watching Asmr videos with people portraying dentists seemed to help me a little. So, I just thought I'd share. YouTubers such as ArticulateDesign (my personal favorite) and Deluca ASMR are great at posting relaxing, non-scary dentist ASMR videos. Watching these videos helped familiarize me with the dentist. Just be aware that many of the dental asmr content is not suitable for dental phobics and some of the videos do show actual dental tools.

Glad you mentioned ASMR - I came across that few months ago and still not really sure how to feel about it (apart of having felt quite like a freak for watching dental videos with whispering acting-as-if dentists :confused:). If I got the phenomena of asmr right, then the effect of it might be different among different people and also everyone might have a different ways to desensitize themselves so it's good if you find your way in this.

I agree on the part of being careful if someone gets triggered too easily and also of being really really careful in general, from what I saw there is also too much of really weird stuff out there on yt.

Now I am curious , I was wondering about what this was ..

Yeah, I came back to write that a majority of the ASMR videos are pretty darn weird. I don't really like the ones where people whisper very softly; that's just weird to me! To be honest, the two people I mentioned are the only Asmr people I thought sort of helped. For the most part, asmr is very odd... I agree, there are numerous ways for people to desensitize themselves to dental anxiety.

I was just thinking today that I wanted to start a thread about this. I stumbled on them quite some time ago and while some of them are strange some of them are helpful from a desensitization perspective. Some of them are only soft spoken vs whisper which is less odd. I surprisingly have found a benefit from watching them because I find that when I am in the chair, I sometimes do think about them and feel more calm (especially at the beginning of an appointment when my mind needs focusing).

Watching Asmr videos with people portraying dentists seemed to help me a little. So, I just thought I'd share. YouTubers such as ArticulateDesign (my personal favorite) and Deluca ASMR are great at posting relaxing, non-scary dentist ASMR videos. Watching these videos helped familiarize me with the dentist. Just be aware that many of the dental asmr content is not suitable for dental phobics and some of the videos do show actual dental tools.

You should check out MinxLaura123. She does not make her role play videos super realistic (i.e. green screen, mask, etc and that’s actually good from a visual trigger standpoint) there are some dental tools and occasionally gloves but she does say all of the right things. She touches on topics that would be therapeutic for dental phobics to hear such as embarrassment, control, stop signals, fear of pain, etc. She is very open about being a dental phobic herself and many people have commented on her videos stating that she has helped them with working through some of their own fears which is very interesting.