• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

at what point do i extract tooth

S

saralou35

so ive had an ongoing issue with a new crown on a root canalled tooth for 3 months now..nothing showing on xray even after all this time and getting it adjusted multiple times, antibiotics and a reroot canal treatment by a top endodontist (reroot canal didn't find anything obvious and he couldnet see any cracks). the problem now seems to be mostly facial pain from this and not toothache. I can eat on it fine. since the reroot canal ive also had weird sensations up my nostril (like a tickle ) that side of face.
I saw my GP yesterday as I think the dentist/endodontist are at loss what to do next. the gp thinks this might be neurological now (im also starting to think this) she refered me to neurologist but started me on a nerve tablet to see if it helps take the pain away.
im at a loss what to do thats all i can think of is my teeth/face pin
at what point do you just pull the tooth? would an abcess eventually show on xray?

Saralou,

I don't have any answers just wanted to say I'm so sorry you are going through all of this andhope it gets better soon and you can find some help and answers .....

An abscess would usually show on x-ray eventually. I would hesitate to whip out a tooth that I couldn't see anything wrong with. I've seen a fair few cases where teeth have been extracted but the problem persists.

An abscess would usually show on x-ray eventually. I would hesitate to whip out a tooth that I couldn't see anything wrong with. I've seen a fair few cases where teeth have been extracted but the problem persists.

Thats what I think Gordon! I’ll be devastated if I pull it then still have pain! How long does it normally take to show on X-ray? Do you know!? It’s been 10weeks now since it started? I wonder if a cbct scan would show anything as I know the dental school where I work have one? Also a dentist nearby has one too but its another few hundred quid! I wonder if it’s worth doing that?

I guess i can just play a waiting game :(

How long is a piece of string? Sorry to be a smartass. I've no experience with a CBCT scan, so don't know if it'll help or not.

How long is a piece of string? Sorry to be a smartass. I've no experience with a CBCT scan, so don't know if it'll help or not.

I just hipe hope it gets better soon or makes itself known!

im also getting concerned over the number of xrays done on this area in the last 3 months? I think ive had 6 altogether as the endodontist did one at check up and two on completion of root canal plus normal dentist did 2 then emergency dentist did 1. so I def don't want to keep having them :(

Back