Atypical facial pain - can anyone reassure me?

Judythecat

Judythecat

Hello, I wondered if anyone might be able to help, please? I have atypical facial pain which is usually around my upper left teeth. In the past few days I have had pain in all my lower left front teeth. None of these teeth have ever had work done, I am on three monthly checkups for the neuralgia, and all was well back in April.

I am actually due my next checkup on Friday, but wanted to ask if anyone could reassure me in the meantime - what is the likelihood of multiple “virgin” teeth simultaneously going bust when 11 weeks ago they had no issues? It’s the neuralgia, right?

Thank you for reading if you did!

A

Anne2021

Hello, I wondered if anyone might be able to help, please? I have atypical facial pain which is usually around my upper left teeth. In the past few days I have had pain in all my lower left front teeth. None of these teeth have ever had work done, I am on three monthly checkups for the neuralgia, and all was well back in April.

I am actually due my next checkup on Friday, but wanted to ask if anyone could reassure me in the meantime - what is the likelihood of multiple “virgin” teeth simultaneously going bust when 11 weeks ago they had no issues? It’s the neuralgia, right?

Thank you for reading if you did!

Hi, Judythecat. I have no qualifications - just a dental phobic here. I had a similar thing, though, just recently. I am trying to move forward with my much-needed dental work and ever since I have all manner of sensations and pains moving around my mouth the past few weeks. Saturday the center bottom eight teeth - most of which have been healthy teeth with no fillings - started burning. Then I remembered a cleaning I had four years ago, which was the first in six years at the time. The hygienest was aggressive and did not rinse during most of the cleaning. The friction made the teeth hot. They really burned for a few days after and it was scary. I found out after that the rinsing is also to keep the teeth from getting hot and irritating the nerve. So Saturday out of the blue I felt this for a few hours. I kept wondering if what she did four years ago damaged the nerves and now they're all dying. It's gone again. My best guess is psychosomatic or atypical of some kind due to me obsessing about the greater dental situation. I don't know if that will help. My guess is that your teeth are fine, but it's good your checkup is so soon to get the word from someone who will have the skills to check things out.

Last edited:
C

Calanne

Hi, Judythecat. I have no qualifications - just a dental phobic here. I had a similar thing, though, just recently. I am trying to move forward with my much-needed dental work and ever since I have all manner of sensations and pains moving around my mouth the past few weeks. Saturday the center bottom eight teeth - most of which have been healthy teeth with no fillings - started burning. Then I remembered a cleaning I had four years ago, which was the first in six years at the time. The hygienest was aggressive and did not rinse during most of the cleaning. The friction made the teeth hot. They really burned for a few days after and it was scary. I found out after that the rinsing is also to keep the teeth from getting hot and irritating the nerve. So Saturday out of the blue I felt this for a few hours. I kept wondering if what she did four years ago damaged the nerves and now they're all dying. It's gone again. My best guess is psychosomatic or atypical of some kind due to me obsessing about the greater dental situation. I don't know if that will help. My guess is that your teeth are fine, but it's good your checkup is so soon to get the word from someone who will have the skills to check things out.
Hi i was diagnosed with the same thing back in 2018 after having 3 upper molars one bottom molar and one lower wisdom. Had them all taken out one by one as the pain kept coming back. Dental hospital then advised it was atypical facial pain and put me on amytrypline increasing the doseage to 50mg. Not sure if it was all the teeth going or the medication but two and half years and no pain. March it started up again in last upper molar standing. Had ab but ended up telling them to take it. It had been root canaled in 2018 and they z it looked fine but i just wanted it gone. I then had infected impacted wisdom tooth so again ab. Two weeks i went for a crown fitting on a bottom broken molar and pain started two days later. Iv ended up with oral thrush burning mouth syndrome and still pain in wisdom tooth. Seen dentist again today to fit permanent crown z keep taking the drops for thrush given more ab for wisdom tooth and said see how i go. So I'm another 470 lighter plus a private prescription for ab as it private dentist iv been going as unable to get app with nhs other than dental hop. And still have pain. I feel your pain judy cat. If ab don't work i am seeking 2nd opinion. I hope you get to resolve or find relief from your symptoms

M

MountainMama

I would almost guarantee it is the AFP. I have the same thing and it drives me crazy with worry. Mine had been almost exclusively on the right side, both top and bottom, but recently moved to the left side. My canine tooth on the bottom left and my premolar have been hurting for no reason…virgin teeth. A few months ago, my bottom front teeth were hurting and I kept getting little zings like when you touch them with something cold. Then they would ache. It stopped abruptly a week later.
Atypical facial pain is awful!

Judythecat

Judythecat

Thanks so much for replying, all - so sorry we are all living with this frustrating condition! It is really hard to be logical while dealing with pain but I am trying to keep a lid on my anxiety!

C

Calanne

Thanks so much for replying, all - so sorry we are all living with this frustrating condition! It is really hard to be logical while dealing with pain but I am trying to keep a lid on my anxiety!
I agree it is hard. Not only for us but our loved ones too. Im really struggling today. Im still unsure its atypical face pain. It seems to be my wisdom tooth. Iv been sweating so bad and its not the heat and have an awful taste in my mouth. On day 2 of ab. My husband has given up with me. Doesn't know how to help so says nothing or comfort. Good luck judycat hope you get some answers 🙏

M

MountainMama

I completely understand. It is so frustrating to “not know for sure”. There is always that question.

Judythecat

Judythecat

Just popping back in to say that my teeth are all fine, it is “just” the neuralgia. I had to stop the polishing part of my S&P on the lower front teeth because the vibrations were just too much! As is often the case, it seems to have settled a bit after some reassurance.

Sending hugs and good thoughts to all other sufferers.

M

MountainMama

Just popping back in to say that my teeth are all fine, it is “just” the neuralgia. I had to stop the polishing part of my S&P on the lower front teeth because the vibrations were just too much! As is often the case, it seems to have settled a bit after some reassurance.

Sending hugs and good thoughts to all other sufferers.
Glad to hear it!! I had a scare on Friday, where my front tooth that has the implant started hurting in the area of the implant, and along my nose and sinus. It felt like horrific sinus pressure and hurt behind the implant as well. I freaked out because it felt just like when I had infection before. I called the dentist and found out they are no longer open on Fridays…grr. Then today, it is gone. No pain. So I am guessing it was the AFP.

Judythecat

Judythecat

Glad to hear it!! I had a scare on Friday, where my front tooth that has the implant started hurting in the area of the implant, and along my nose and sinus. It felt like horrific sinus pressure and hurt behind the implant as well. I freaked out because it felt just like when I had infection before. I called the dentist and found out they are no longer open on Fridays…grr. Then today, it is gone. No pain. So I am guessing it was the AFP.

It’s a crazy condition, isn’t it?