• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Awful extraction experience

S

Smilek

Hi everyone.

One of my upper back molars needed to be extracted, and so I had this done early part of this week.
Basically, from the get go it was obvious something was wrong. The pain I felt was excruciating even after the full amount of local anaesthetic was used. At one point I heard a loud crack followed by a searing pain in my jaw.
Once the tooth was (eventually) out I was informed my jaw had fractured due to my tooth being fused to my bone!
I have also since developed a strange sensation where air is felt coming from the extraction site when I breathe and talk.

Dentist said pain will get worse before it gets better due to what had to be done to get the tooth out, and to be honest, 5 days later, the pain is just not subsiding and am waking up with a throbbing jaw/mouth every morning.

I am now, needless to say, rather traumatised and feel so upset that what should have been a simple extraction turned into a complete nightmare.

Any advise would be so welcomed x

Sounds like you've developed an oral-antral fistula, a small hole between the top of the socket and the floor of your nasal sinus. It's a good idea to be careful not to blow your nose for a few days, if you need to sneeze then let it out, don't try to be all polite and hold it in.
Don't worry about it over much, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds and will clear up by itself 99% of the time. Do contact your dentist to let them know about it though.
Not very helpful of the dentist regarding the pain I must say!

Sounds like you've developed an oral-antral fistula, a small hole between the top of the socket and the floor of your nasal sinus. It's a good idea to be careful not to blow your nose for a few days, if you need to sneeze then let it out, don't try to be all polite and hold it in.
Don't worry about it over much, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds and will clear up by itself 99% of the time. Do contact your dentist to let them know about it though.
Not very helpful of the dentist regarding the pain I must say!

Thank you for your reply.
I'm really struggling to eat anything without pain. I'm mashing everything up, living on soup and mashed potato mainly but finding anything going into my mouth very painful and uncomfortable.
Am I allowed alcohol yet!?!? :(

And no, I felt very butchered with regards to the pain at the time. Had I of known this would happen I would have refused the extraction. Very brutal :(

You can have alcohol if you want, assuming you're not taking any opiate painkillers?

I'm on amoxicillin to avoid a sinus infection, which I think I may have as I'm getting some horrible discharge coming from my nostril :(

Well, 1 week later and I have been back to my dentist several times since the extraction in utter pain. He told me to just keep taking paracetamol and ibuprofen but they just arent touching the pain.
I begged my GP to give me some stronger painkillers and he has prescribed me 30/500 solpadol (codeine and paracetamol) I'm praying they will give me some relief and some sleep!!
The antibiotics I was taking haven't helped with the sinus infection (the taste and smell is horrible) so I have been given different antibiotics too.

Is this common?. I thought I would be much better by now, I'm not sure how much longer I can cope :redface::shame:

No, fortunately it's not common. I'm sorry you're going through it.

No, fortunately it's not common. I'm sorry you're going through it.
Thank you Gordon. The codeine is really taking the edge off which I'm so grateful for!
I'd never heard of teeth being fused to a bone before, it doesnt surprise me that this has happened to me. I seem to attract bad luck!

Gordon, one more question if I may?
I notice the tooth next to the extraction site is wobbly and very painful. Is this normal?

Yes, it'll have been leaned on a bit (more likely a lot) during the extraction, which has probably upset the little ligament that holds the tooth in.
Try to leave it alone as much as you can till it heals up.
HOWEVER, if it lasts more than a couple more days, get back to your dentist urgently.

I had the extraction last Wednesday so 9 days ago? Should I be worried?

No, but if they're still very loose and don't show any signs of firming up in the next few days, then I would get the dentist to take another look.

Back