• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Awful pain 3 weeks after deep filling, is this right?

J

Jackie.dan

Hi everyone, I am new here. 3 weeks ago I had 2 deep fillings, my dentist said as they were so deep it could take up to 2 months to settle down. I have been in agony since I had them done. I have awful pain in my ear, jaw and going up the side of my head. I am taking paracetamol and ibrophen every 2 hours. It seems to be getting worse rather than better. I rang the dentist and she said it can be that painful. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced similar to this as I am going crazy with the pain :(

That doesn't sound right :(. Is this in the UK?

I agree with letsconnect, that doesn’t sound right at all. I’m not familiar with the system in the UK, but can you insist that the dentist sees you? Some discomfort could be expected for a few days, but that level of pain is absolutely not normal.

I would guess that if the nerves in your teeth have been irritated by the fillings, you may be suffering from irreversible pulpitis which would need to be treated by root canal treatment. Have a read here:
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/root-canal/
but yes your dentist should evaluate you as an emergency patient in pain and not fob you off.

Thank you everyone, I will make another appointment. Such a pain as I start a new job tomorrow :(

I feel your pain -- literally! I had a deep cavity in a molar that they tried to fill a couple weeks ago. It hurt to start with but once the novocaine wore off I was in AGONY. Ibuprofen and Tylenol several times a day in doses that I probably should not have been taking made it better. But it was still no good. I got the tooth (and a wisdom tooth on the other side) taken out this morning as I can't afford a root canal and don't want to do one on a back molar anyway. Now I'm in a different sort of pain, but hopefully this will have solved it.

I hope you can get to the bottom of it soon! Dental pain is no joke!

Thank you everyone, I will make another appointment. Such a pain as I start a new job tomorrow :(

Sorry to hear about your situation, this sounds terrible. They should schedule you as soon as possible, with such a pain you are an emergency patient...
Did you got seen already? Hope you first day at the new job went well, I can't even imagine how stressful it must be to work with such pain :(

Back