• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Baby steps. I made the appointment

P

Parkerwash

Hello, I have not seen the dentist in more years than I would like to admit. I am going to need at least 3 extractions and likely my wisdom teeth. I’m so scared they will tell me I need to remove all my teeth. I have notslept just thinking about going to the dentist. I honestly am scared on the x/rays, like they will uncover unimaginable damage to the few teeth that I think are okay. I suffered from an eating disordered that ruined my teeth. I can’t believe I did this to myself. I have felt such shame for years like I know they will judge me... today I called and made the appointment. I called 3 different offices. The first two receptionists were so rude to me. I finally called the last place and the woman was so sweet that answered the phone. She stated she’s going to call me the day before and morning of my appointment and will not let me back out of it even if I try ;) I’m excited and scared... ugh. The anxiety makes me feel sick.

Well done! Making the appointment is the biggest step for many. The fact the woman who answered the phone was sweet is probably a reflection on how the dentist will be. I'm sure they won't judge you. If you read my first post on the support forum you'll see I felt the same and was surprised at how nice they were. I was so terrified I hadn't been since I was a child. Tomorrow I'm going for the second part of root canal treatment and I'm not even nervous.
The not knowing is worse than after, because at least then you can have a plan in place and move forward. It takes some of the anxiety away.

I hope the first appointment goes well! :grouphug:

Bravo bravo!

You are doing great.

No one here sends any shame. In fact, we send admiration and encouragement.

You can do it.

Parkerwash,

I'm so glad that the 3rd receptionist was very kind to you! I agree w Regina and hope and believe this would reflect the dentist and how they are with you as well! It takes alot of courage to step up when being so anxious and scared and doing it anyways.. It sounds like this will be a supportive atmostphere. Let us know how it goes.

Hi,

You mentioned the x rays and the embarrassment you might feel about it.
Please allow me to offer you watching my video about fear of embarrassment.
A dentist looks very frequently on x rays and we look at them using professional terms.
It sounds like you are skeptical about three teeth (whether it is possible to treat them or better of have them extracted). From my experience, patients don’t really know whether a tooth is treatable or not and in most cases they tend to be pessimistic. I talk about this in my video I named “The uncertainty factor”.

All the best.

Very well done, Parkerwash, so glad you haven't gotten tired of phoning and finally found a practice that treated you kindly! :thumbsup:

I suffered from an eating disordered that ruined my teeth. I can’t believe I did this to myself. I have felt such shame for years like I know they will judge me...

Not being a native speaker and not having payed too much attention on tenses during my english lessons I am not too clear about whether this is how you still feel or something you overcame, but want to let you know that beating an eating disorder is a huge achievment and your ruined teeth are nothing to be judged for but something that shows how strong and brave you have been in your past. So if any voice in your head is telling you they will judge you, it is a lie. The truth is, no kind caring dental care professional will ever judge you. They will have compassion and be ready to support you and they will most likely be really glad that you plucked the courage to make this huge step. :)

All the best wishes and can't wait to read your updates (and oh yeah, dental anxiety sucks and the first appointment is the worst one)