• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Baby Steps of an optimistic stresshead (22 YO Female)

Today's worries:

Wish I'd told the dentist about the pain in my other teeth.

Pain in my back tooth keeps going, what if a RCT isn't even necessary?

Cuddle please anyone? New anxiety meds are kicking in slowly at least.

Still not having any problems with that tooth? Dunno whether or not to cancel. :(

Strangely reassuringly that tooth decided to be a bit annoying again yesterday.

New anxiety meds are def working, am obsessing much less about my teeth and this appointment in general. Might be different closer to the date but right now I just feel like what needs to be done needs to be done and that's all there is to it. :)

4 hours of treatment is nothing compared to a lifetime of no pain.

10 positive thoughts on an otherwise difficult day

Am so unbelievably fed up of having a toothache. Plus woke up this morning with a huge lump on the top of my palette? Fun times. Really hope that just disappears by itself soon.

Today, I have decided to work on my framing and think about 10 things I am grateful for through this whole toothy debacle.

1. My teeth are whiter than they were.
  2. I don't feel as awkward about smiling.
  3. My teeth would have much worse prospects if I wasn't mid-dental plan.
  4. It's helped me to understand and manage my anxiety better.
  5. It's encouraged me to open up more and be slowly less ashamed.
  6. Hitting rock bottom was what I probably needed to be getting help for my anxiety now.
  7. I am practising self-care- flossing and brushing every day even if I don't feel worthy.
  8. I have realised I have some amazing friends.
  9. I have had to try and unravel some suppressed feelings- tough but better out than in.
  10. I've already got through more than I ever expected to!

That lump disappeared (So so glad) but it's only 4 days until my root canal appointment, am ridiculously scared right now and want to cancel. Tooth in question doesn't even hurt that much.

Positive thoughts anyone please?

Got 'the text' this morning and spent the whole shaking. Hey Ho, here's another list. Hope it can help someone else too. :)

10 ways I will be in control on Tuesday.

1. I chose to start this journey.
2. I chose the dentist.
3. I agreed to this treatment.
4. I chose the day and time.
5. I decided not to cancel.
6. I can ask the dentist to stop whenever I want to.
7. I can control my breathing and be mindful.
8. I will be taking control of my future.
9. I will be seeing my counsellor straight after.
10. I will be buying myself some grumpy cat pyjamas as a reward! ;D

6 Months later

It's been a while peeps.

I go through days of wanting to post lots on here and exploring my feelings, the next I try to go on autopilot to get through things and find that being on here is too triggering.

I actually had a really good appointment 6 months ago where they actually said everything was looking good, just need to get a handle on flossing. That was really nice...but that was 6 months ago. I'm really worried I've let myself get back to square one again, got a bit of a throbby tooth (they mentioned it might need filling at some point a while ago) and I keep going to bed being too tired to floss. I know it's silly, I just only seem to have two modes, obsessive or avoidant.

I did the thing though, I've made the appointment for the 12th April at 6pm. Pretty sure I'll need some work again, but I guess if I keep going then I'm doing the best that I can. Let's hope it won't be as big a deal for me emotionally, financially or anything again this time. I've got through 2 fillings, one of them a pretty bad one, I need to remind myself I can do this again.

Last edited:
Welcome back and thanks for the update. Happy to hear that you have made the appointment - that's the most important thing and if its's 6 months from your last visit than you are doing fine. Progress is not linear and it's ok not to do everything right straight away. I am sure you won't need too much work and again, the most important thing is, that you keep on going.

All the best wishes

Thank you very much for your reply. It's okay not to get everything right, right away are very comforting words to hear. :)

Back