• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Back bottom molar basically snapped in half horizontally.

A

AbscessAnxiety

Hey, so as the title says, my back molar, which has been a write off for a while, finally broke yesterday, basically snapping what was left in half lengthways (what's left isn't much, basically just the outside "wall" of tooth. Since that happened, the broken part feels very loose but won't come out. I can't chew on that side and if I move the tooth by accident, I get a fair bit of pain.

I contacted my dentist, which is domiciliary as I'm agoraphobic and they can't see me till January 26th. I'm terrified of this broken tooth becoming a serious infection or something, I have a friend who recently had his cheek swell up from an infected tooth. I already have one infected tooth the dentist can't work on while the visits are at home, so I'm already terrified of that, but this broken tooth has really scared me.

I'm worried the fact it's so broken could lead to some more serious infection as it won't be contained? It can just kinda seep out anywhere since the tooth is basically one big hole with a loose bit of tooth on the side.

Are these fears grounded? Is there any chance of this tooth being more serious (infection spreading wise) due to the fact it's broken than any other tooth that's decayed?

If the broken bit of tooth falls out, will that cause me any more serious complications too?

Cheers

Are these fears grounded? Is there any chance of this tooth being more serious (infection spreading wise) due to the fact it's broken than any other tooth that's decayed?
No it's actually much better. Any infection that forms will be able to escape easily, much less chance of anything serious happening. Just try to keep it as clean as you can, in case food blocks up the easy escape of infection. Rinse round with warm salty water a few times daily to encourage it to drain out.

Back