• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

back of tooth

T

toothfailure

Can dentists take off part of the back of the tooth. When I was naive I went to a bad dentist who said I had a cavity. He drilled an upside down triangle on the back of my tooth. The spot with the filling doesn't match the rest of the tooth and the real tooth is pointy and hard next to the filling. What can I do? Keep getting it smoothed. Its really driving me crazy. Would it drive you crazy? How do I stop from letting it make me crazy? Is something wrong with me? What should I do?

@toothfailure, how long do you have this filling? It should be easy for a dentist to smooth a filling. Takes 5 seconds.

@Dr. Daniel one year, hopefully he will smooth it. Thank you

@Dr. Daniel Its gotten worse. Its like a big slice of pizza was taken off. And that filling has washed away and the rough edges of the side of my real teeth are left. It feels awful. I think it caved in or back fell off. But the whole big pizza slice of filling is gone. When I go April 10th, what should I do? Should I aske for a gold filling if my body is rejecting these? Not sure. But it feels awful and im slowly going crazy because it feels so big and pointy and awful.

Sounds like it either hasn't been bonded properly to the tooth or there wasn't enough mechanical retention to hold it. Either way, redoing the filling properly should sort it. Gold fillings don't generally stick as well to teeth as composite does.

@Gordon Thank you. I know gold lasts longer but I will wait and see. Im so sad that I agreed to let the first dentist hack off the back of my tooth. Wish I wasnt in this situation. Hopefully it will be all fixed and well.

I don’t think your body is rejecting anything. The dentist needs to perform good dentistry, a filling which is comfortable and lasts a long time. One year is not long.

The type of filling is less important. What really matters is how well te dentist treats you and the guarantee that comes along.

Back