• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Back to square 1

Sironastar

Sironastar

Well after the last dentist was unsympathetic and just after my money, i left and not been back and it has taken months to get my confidence back. Thanks to a member on this site who has been so supportive and recommended a dentist to me, i managed to pluck up the courage and write a letter to her to explain my fear and experience to which i received a lovely letter back which made me feel like I can actually do this. I have made an appointment for next tuesday (9th) and already racked with nerves not sleeping and thinking can i really do this, as it is only 10 months to my wedding i really hope i can do this and she is as lovely as she was in the letter, any support experiences will be appeciated, i need a lot of work done and thinking i will need sedating which she offers but we will see, i need a lot of extractions the thought scares the hell outta me but i need to beat this fear and I will i am bored of nearly 15 years feeling like this! I have not idea what i would do without this forum, i really hope we can all beat this dreadful fear together!:)

Good for you!!!:welldone:
I also had a money-grubbing dentist who masqueraded as a dentist who treated fearful patients. He said he offered sedation (after 23 years of NOT going to the dentist, I WAS not going to do those 9 extractions awake, :o)!!! He got me through the extractions ok, but when I came for my dental visits....he really never did too much work.....always the assistants. Then he told me to restore my teeth back to full health, it was going to cost around $50,000!!!!! Even though I complained of the cost, he NEVER suggested alternatives to the treatment plan that were less costly. I basically said I couldn't afford it and walked out and never looked back. I went to this guy for 2 years!!!
I have a wonderful dentist now whom I have also been going to for 2 years. He found less expensive ways to restore me back to dental health (total cost $3,000). He also does MOST of the work, with the assistant ASSISTING.
This forum has been a god-send for me, too!! Without the support of some of these people here, I don't think I EVER would have made through my consultation appointment, let alone the actual procedures!! I think if a person on this forum recommended a dentist, chances are this dentist knows how to treat fearful patients! That was so nice that your dentist sent you a letter back.
Good luck :clover: :clover::clover: for your upcoming appointment!! I hope your dentist is as nice as she sounds!!
Keep us posted!!
All the best and many :hug5:'s,
Jen

Aaww thank you Jen so nice to hear I'm not alone and well done to you for facing your fear and having procedures done so proud of you it's an amazing achievement :) I can't tell you how scared I am but I have got to do this I need 4 extractions at the front an temp denture for starters so fingers crossed I can do it the dentist seems really nice and also offers sedation so I'm hoping I will be fine just annoys me I can't shake this fear but I'm hoping with trust and a friendly dentist of one ever exists I will be ok lol thanks for taking the time to reply means a lot and I will keep you posted on how I get on after my consultation on Tuesday

Thanks again and big hugs

Kaz x x

Woo hoo! Glad to hear you are getting back in the saddle. I don't think Normal People :) know how tough this can be.

Haha I don't think they do but to be fair they could have fears that don't bother us :) thank you for your reply I hope alls ok with you facing your fear too :)