• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Back to square one (in pain)

L

loulou1

Hi all,
After years of suffering from dental phobia I visited the dentist and was treated under sedation. As far as I was aware I was asleep and felt nothing. Recovery was okay, my mouth was sore which I expected, but vowed not to be scared any longer. This was 4 years ago and I did get scared again.
A few weeks ago my front tooth broke in half also my back tooth (lower right) broke off. I searched for a local dentist that offered sedation and found one with good reviews after check up and xrays I returned Saturday gone at 9.15am for appointment.
I was finally called in at 10.00am. The IV was placed in right arm and was told it wasnt going in right. The dentist then left the room and I was left sitting there with it still sticking out if arm. The dentist finally returned half hour later and tried the IV in my left hand, eventually she got it in. My treatment started and I realised that this time I was more aware of what was happening. My tooth was removed and I returned home. Now I am still in some pain and jaw bone hurts and is very tender and swollen. I am taking painkillers.
I am now petrified of returning there. Any advice/support welcomed. :cry:

Simple: Tell the dentist what your concerns are and what the doctor can do to help you.

Hi all,
After years of suffering from dental phobia I visited the dentist and was treated under sedation. As far as I was aware I was asleep and felt nothing. Recovery was okay, my mouth was sore which I expected, but vowed not to be scared any longer. This was 4 years ago and I did get scared again.
A few weeks ago my front tooth broke in half also my back tooth (lower right) broke off. I searched for a local dentist that offered sedation and found one with good reviews after check up and xrays I returned Saturday gone at 9.15am for appointment.
I was finally called in at 10.00am. The IV was placed in right arm and was told it wasnt going in right. The dentist then left the room and I was left sitting there with it still sticking out if arm. The dentist finally returned half hour later and tried the IV in my left hand, eventually she got it in. My treatment started and I realised that this time I was more aware of what was happening. My tooth was removed and I returned home. Now I am still in some pain and jaw bone hurts and is very tender and swollen. I am taking painkillers.
I am now petrified of returning there. Any advice/support welcomed. :cry:

My advice would be not to return there. It sounds like they are very inconsiderate of your fears and lack the compassion to deal with phobic patients. It was not appropriate to just leave you there a half hour alone with the iv sticking in wrong. You need to find a new dentist.
Try using an ice pack on your jaw 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. it helps a lot with the swelling and pain.

My advice would be not to return there. It sounds like they are very inconsiderate of your fears and lack the compassion to deal with phobic patients. It was not appropriate to just leave you there a half hour alone with the iv sticking in wrong. You need to find a new dentist.
Try using an ice pack on your jaw 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. it helps a lot with the swelling and pain.
Over a week later and Im still in pain, my jaw is still swollen, I have dry socket, my right arm is bruised and my left hand and wrist is too. So now I have packed the socket myself as Im afraid to return to that or any dentist