• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Back to square one

M

Moley

Here we go again.

Between my mental health issues and my subsequent on/off interest in dental hygiene, I've fallen back into the trap.

After a few days of not being bothered if I did or didn't brush my teeth, my mood swung again and I went back to brushing thoroughly, flossing and using a gum focused mouthwash. Low and behold, metallically grey/black line from the gum line down, between two teeth where one is slightly further forward, trapping all the causes of such things. (I'd noticed some twinges from that region of my mouth a few times but, with the way the teeth are positioned I'm constantly 'stabbing' the gum with sharp bits of food so didn't think too much of it.)

Instant mood plummet, with panic attack, dry heaving and frantically Googling for tips. Wishful thinking and a toothpick hoping it was just a bit of food, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. It's currently 3:30 in the morning, I'm far too fidgety to sleep and just completely dreading having to make that phonecall again.

Here we go again.

Between my mental health issues and my subsequent on/off interest in dental hygiene, I've fallen back into the trap.

After a few days of not being bothered if I did or didn't brush my teeth, my mood swung again and I went back to brushing thoroughly, flossing and using a gum focused mouthwash. Low and behold, metallically grey/black line from the gum line down, between two teeth where one is slightly further forward, trapping all the causes of such things. (I'd noticed some twinges from that region of my mouth a few times but, with the way the teeth are positioned I'm constantly 'stabbing' the gum with sharp bits of food so didn't think too much of it.)

Instant mood plummet, with panic attack, dry heaving and frantically Googling for tips. Wishful thinking and a toothpick hoping it was just a bit of food, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. It's currently 3:30 in the morning, I'm far too fidgety to sleep and just completely dreading having to make that phonecall again.

I know it's very disheartening when we have problems with our teeth, especially when we've had bad experiences, but don't give up. Please try and call the dentist so you can have this checked out.

Got an appointment tomorrow afternoon. Had the option of early morning but I'll probably be up most of the night worrying about it, so figured I'd give myself a chance of getting some sleep.

Hopefully if I need anything doing there will be time to do it there and then. I think I'd struggle to not avoid going to any second appointment.

Got an appointment tomorrow afternoon. Had the option of early morning but I'll probably be up most of the night worrying about it, so figured I'd give myself a chance of getting some sleep.

Hopefully if I need anything doing there will be time to do it there and then. I think I'd struggle to not avoid going to any second appointment.

I wish you the best of luck at your appointment. I hope you feel better. Please update and let us know how it goes.

yes, best to you at your appt.. hope things get better and it goes well... let us know!!

I hope your appointment goes well, do keep up updated

I'm not sure how or why, but it turned out to be absolutely nothing of any note. Routine examination and after being told all my fillings (of which I have a few) are fine and one admittedly rather stingy scaling later I was out of the door.

Glad it went well and ITS over!!!! do you have to do any other work? or done for a while?

I'm not sure how or why, but it turned out to be absolutely nothing of any note. Routine examination and after being told all my fillings (of which I have a few) are fine and one admittedly rather stingy scaling later I was out of the door.

Awesome I'm glad it went well!