• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad behaviour whilst sedated!!!

K

Kazmc

Hi there
I have an absolutely overwhelming fear of dentists and was so pleased when I found one at Gallions Reach dental hospital in London who would do some work under sedation.
Unfortunately I only had 2 sessions after which time he told me he refused to do any further work unless I was awake as I became rather aggressive whilst sedated and he could not do the work properly. I honestly do not remember anything :redface: :shame:
He said my behaviour and language was very aggressive :redface::redface: Oh god I was mortified.
So my question is.... are there different types of sedation medicine and if there is can I find a dentist who would use it??
I am 43 and although I work fulltime I am a single mum so money is quite an issue.
Am I a lost cause??
Can anyone please help as I am now desperate to get treated before all my teeth fall out!

As no dentist has replied yet, I googled and apparently the aggression thing can occasionally be a side effect of your inhibitions being lowered by the drug:

As far as I am aware there are various sedation drugs which can be used and in the USA cocktails of drugs are often used. But in the UK, a cautious single drug approach tends to be taught and the fact that kids don't react well or predictably to benzos is the reason GA is used for kids in UK rather than sedation for dental treatment.

DFC page on i/v sedation:

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about this disappointing experience, especially after you summoned up the courage to go for treatment.

I did have a patient recently who told me he can get violent under sedation if he feels penned in. I had to promise to ring my wife after treating him to assure her I was still alive! It actually went OK with no problems at all. I think the key to success here was that we spent time gaining his confidence before starting treatment. If we had just gone straight into the treatment it may have been different.

I have googled Gallions Reach and they appear to be very experienced at sedation so it is surprising that you had this problem. It might be worth asking them to refer to the sedation and special care department of Guy’s hospital dental hospital (or contact the dental hospital yourself). They will have access to alternative drugs and techniques that may well help you. (Also there is probably no charge for treatment).

As Brit said, and combination of sedative drugs may be helpful.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

Let us know how you get on.

Lincoln

Back