• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

bad experience emergency dentist

C

Chaosdeal

hi,

I have a good dentist he uses Biolase laser and its realy plesant much better then that damn dental drill but i still got fear the downside: its a 3 hour trip to get there . i startered my dental journey with 6 cavities en there wehere two left then somthing bad happend a filling came out and a part of the cavity tooth broke i freaked out that i need extraction , voices that say i needs to get out in my head i complety freaked out and i can make that 3 hour trip in this state so i called a (emergency)dentist nearby and explaind the situation that my dentist is far away and i want get broken tooth chekced , was no problem at all they say we will do that for you.

today was that apointment Good news: No extraction just fillings (2 broken teeth and one cavity i alreday knew about and he said my other teeth looked very good Bad news: he was a jerk he said things like we do extractions and root canals every day you dont need to fear that and you need to get used to that and he also dont understand why i was so sceard for the worest , he also dosent understand that i was so fearful at age 27 . and he say you can better go to a dental hospital for sedation if i cant just fill it there at his clinic he pushes me to transfer to his clinic despite i cleary said in my email and on the phone i just wanted to get the broken teeth chekced out and i dont want to transfer but he keeped pushing to transfer to his clinic , he also said that a hygniest in his clinic can fill it there wich i found strange dentist fill teeth not hyginists is my opinion with my fear. also i cant have much treatment at once becaue i have Fautige syndrome and i need to rest a lot between treatmanets he also doesen't understand . he also dosent understand why i preffer the laser dentist. i feel so bad about this now. the bad thinig is last year i had a good experince at the hygnist at that clinic and now i got that problem with that dentist i have to find a new hyginist.

i let the cavities get cleard at my current laser dentist and not at that clinic i was today . even if the next dental clinic in the world was a 1000 mile drive i better do that than ever go back at him . i feel so angry

sorry for my english isint perfect i am from the netherlands.

Wow, it sounds like you met a really crappy dentist! No dentist should tell you to just "get used to it". That is dismissive and rude. And him pushing you to go to the clinic - was there profit in it for him?? Kind of shady!

Either way, you are doing great by going to the dentist despite your fear, including seeing a new unknown dentist in an emergency situation! That's incredibly brave! Please do not let that one dentist's thoughtless words bring you down.

I agree wholeheartedly with Sevena!

You are incredibly brave.. and if you are comfortable with the laser dentist who treated you right I hope you can go back there. The emergency dentist sounds like a bully.

Hi Chaosdeal,

so sorry to hear how it went. The dentist is a jerk! How can someone perform dentistry and absolutely ignore the fact that it's scary. Even a lot of normal people do not feel completely at ease when it comes to treatment and of course there are nervous and phobic people who need care and kindness. I can't believe what he told you and how much pressure he was doing! By the way, we have Dr.Daniel here on the forum, he is very kind, treats nervous patients and has a practice in The Hague.. that came to my mind as you said you were in Netherlands. Btw. your english is great and it's lovely to have you here!

Anyway, the guy that you saw was a jerk, but what I really like is you being able to resist the pushing and having made a decision not to let them treat you. Standing for your preferences and taking care of yourself is a very huge and courageous thing when it comes to dealing with dental fear so it is great that you have made it. May you recover from the disappointment very soon and hopefully see someone kind, be it your laser dentist or a new hygienist.

All the best wishes and keep us updated

Back