• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad Experience

B

Butts

I have always had a phobia about Dentistry which goes back to the day's of "Mobile Torture Vans" that I was forced to frequent when they visited schools many years ago. Empathy was certainly in short supply.

My teeth have never been "Hollywood Standard" but i used to attend religiously until about 2010 when I moved up to Scotland. My Hygienist warned me that my gums were receeding and I would lose my teeth eventually. She was "old school" RAF Trained and a purveyor of "hand Scrapes" not those dreaded modern contraptions. When she retired so did my polish and scrape visits.

I extracted three of my four wisdom teeth by "gentle wiggling" over the years no pain whatsoever and free. In the last year I have used this method to extract my bottom four front teeth as they gradually became loose. I have also lost three of my four upper front teeth again slowly and without any pain. I have also removed one real molar using this method. A perverse consequence of this action is that I can eat without any problem or twinges. Obviously I have not been approached to film any toothpaste commercials, and my remaining teeth are pretty stained.

I plucked up the courage to visit a Dentist a few months ago to seek advice, choosing an NHS practice that sold itself on being amenable to frightened customers like my goodself. All I can say is that at least I did not have to pay for The Checkup as in Scotland they are free for everyone.

He took photographs to show me how bad my gnashers looked all in glorious technicolour (mainly brown !!) on a huge TV Screen - Yuk !! He started disparaging NHS products and talking about putting a £1000 + bridge here and there - eh ????. It was established that I needed a couple of fillings and a upper and lower bridge (luckily my canine teeth are all intact to act as an anchor).

However prior to any treatment I would have to visit the practice hygienist (at £20 odd per throw) four times. What I don't understand is that if these visits were "Clinically Necessary" which they patently were after a prolonged absence of many years why they would not form part of a Treatment Plan. I was already looking at probably the maximum NHS Charge in Scotland, so this was adding insult to injury to try and extract (forgive the pun) extra remmitances from me.

As a result of this another six months have elapsed leaving me less inclined than ever to visit. Has anyone got any advice of how to avoid this "con" that seems widespread from what I have read and heard.

Thanks.

Hello,
My interpretation is that for what it's worth, you're not wanting to invest on your own health? I think £20 per hygienist is extremely reasonable and if it means saving the rest of your teeth, improving your eating capacity and possibly confidence then I think it's a bargain.

My dog had a scale and polish at the vet for ONE visit and that costed me £160 and I coughed up because I don't want her health to deteriorate.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post, but it sounds like you would rather let your teeth crumble for the sake of a small amount of money.

Hi I am in the UK but I know that in Scotland things are a bit different but not too much. Not all dentist do cleaning themselves these days and it is always an extra charge for the hygienist, I also think £20.00 is not a lot as in the UK it is usually about the £40.00 mark per visit.

I would be willing to pay this as extra if my dentist didn't do the cleaning herself but as she does it is included in the check up charge. We pay £18.80 for a check up so with this in mind £20.00 might seem a fair charge to you.

I have bridges and they are very good. Mine were done on the NHS, I think your dentist gave you some good advice and is telling you what is in your best interest to have done. I don't agree with him rubbishing the nhs treatment though as that is the only option some of us have. I think your band charges may be different to ours.

I understand that if someone can afford private treatment then the product they use are a better quality but I can't and have had all my treatment done on the nhs. It has been very good and I am happy with both the cost and work over the past 4 years.

I wish you well in getting orally healthy, and if you don't feel comfortable with the dentist you have seen then find another that you do feel okay with. You will be surprised at how much better the teeth you have will look and feel after a clean by a hygienist.

All the best to you. Whatever you decide to do is the correct decision for you as it is your choice to make. We are not here to judge you or your dentists decision but to offer you support in whatever you choose to do. :butterfly:

Back