• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

bad extraction experiance 7 more to go next week please support me scared to death

A

anna9

bad extraction experiance 7 more to go next week please support me scared to death

hi all
last friday i had my first ever tooth extraction i am so scared of the dentist it was a really big deal for me. the tooth he took out was a tooth below the gumline so it was a struggle for him to get grip and get it out he gave me few injections and they really hurt me it was 2nd molar in from the back the injections didnt work for me much i was kinda numb but not completley so i felt pain it hurt bad. i had more injections and it was just the same. i have to have more out a week today and im so scared what shall i do. the tooth i had out i had a big abcess in a week before i had antibiotics could it not have worked completly coz the infection may of still been there abit. im just scared that il feel it next time has anyone had experiances like this. i have one more tooth below the humline to remove and thats what im scared about will it be the same . can someone please tell me there experiances and how they dealt with it please. and also when the tooth was nearly out i went very dizzy kike i was going to faint he sprayed me with water and i came round but scared it will happen again. thanks please give me some advice on this.

Re: bad extraction experiance 7 more to go next week please support me scared to death

I would find another dentist, you should have been numb, if your dentist couldn't have got you numbed he should have stopped and maybe given you more antibiotics and had you go back another day. Is there another dentist you could see at the practice. If not find another practice, the injections should not have hurt either.

I wish you good luck, don't go back to this dentist, if you carry on getting hurt by this man it will make you feel worse about going. He doesn't seem to care that you were in pain. You did really well staying and getting the tooth extracted.

Best wishes to you, whatever you decide to do is the right decision for you. :butterfly:

Re: bad extraction experiance 7 more to go next week please support me scared to death

I think you should have been more numb too. But it's possible it just takes you longer to feel number, or more novocain, than the average person. It sounds like he did try to give you more when it was hurting you.
If you think you can, I'd say go to the same guy next week - get it done and over with. But talk to him beforehand. Make sure you're comfortable. Ask him if the abscess was probably associated with extra pain, and if the others might be easier going.

The novocain shots are very painful. My oral surgeon said that the stuff that happens in the top of the mouth, versus the lower jaw, tend to be more painful. Maybe yours hurt for a reason like that. For me, the right side hurt a little bit, and he had to give me an extra novocain shot there. Everyone is different.

Your entire mouth should be numb. It should feel to you like you have something extra in your mouth, like a foreign body (it'll really just be your tongue). What you can do is call in before the procedure and tell him how much it hurt you last time, and ask if he can use an alternative method. Maybe he can add laughing gas, or use a topical novocain before the injections if he didn't, or use a different kind of novocain, or let you sit for longer so it has time to sink in. If your mouth isn't numb then tell him and he can add more. You might also be able to take a pain reliever before the procedure begins to help with pain. Does he do general anesthesia? That's an option too. 8 teeth out is a lot.

I have been numbed on both top and bottom for work done, I never felt the injections or had any pain during the work being done. Did your dentist use a gel called topical before injecting, if not ask him to use it and to inject really slowly. This way it will not hurt, and I mean really slowly. Don't let him start to work on you until you are properly numb, ask him to wait longer before starting.

If you want to go back to this dentist I think it is a good idea to have a word with him before, explain how bad you felt and how nervous you now feel.

I would find another dentist, but if you feel you can work with this dentist please do have a word with him before he does any more treatment. Usually people on here say that a root of a tooth is easier to get out than a full tooth.
Good luck :clover::clover::clover: Let us know how you get on :butterfly:

thank you for all your replys
my dentist does not use the topical hel its not available there. i wiuld love to switch dentists but im on the nhs that is the only one in my area taking on patients and i can not travel. im just gonna go and get it over with.
the tooth was 2nd from the back bottom right so hope the top aint more painful lol. i am really scared but im just gonna have to go through it best i can. i did go alittle numb but not completly so when he was pulling i felt sharp pains in my gum and even afterwards within half hour to an hour there was no numb feeling atal it as gone.

Bless you - if that is the only NHS practice in your area, is there another dentist in the practice that you could be asked to be seen by??? You don't need to see the same guy even if you have to resign yourself to the same practice - when I go to my GP - I don't have to see the same GP even tho' there are only two permanent one's and two locums. I get to choose who I see there, and they all have the same access to my records - result :)

Back