• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

bad fear and really need dental treatment

J

jo01uk

:cry: I have a bad fear of the dentist and have bad embarrassing teeth decay and toothache most days :shame: I feel sick at the thought of an appointment let alone going over the dentist doorstep, don't know how to get through this..help and advice really needed x

:cry: I have a bad fear of the dentist and have bad embarrassing teeth decay and toothache most days :shame: I feel sick at the thought of an appointment let alone going over the dentist doorstep, don't know how to get through this..help and advice really needed x

If you do make an appointment with a dentist then dont worry that the dentist will start working on your teeth there and then...first appointments are just to look at your teeth to diagnose what needs doing...

If you could pluck up the courage to attend a first appointment then maybe you could tell the dentist of your fears and they could reassure you about the things that scare you:)

Hi Jo01UK and welcome, my advice would be to write down all the things that make you scared at the dentist and let them know before the appointment that way they will know best how to help you. It really helped me as they knew what kind of things they needed to avoid doing during the appointment in order to make me feel more comfortable.

Do you know what it is you are most scared of?

Hi Jo01UK and welcome, my advice would be to write down all the things that make you scared at the dentist and let them know before the appointment that way they will know best how to help you. It really helped me as they knew what kind of things they needed to avoid doing during the appointment in order to make me feel more comfortable.

Do you know what it is you are most scared of?

Yes, That is very good advice; I also find it useful to view dentistry as a cosmetic service (to improve ones appearance) and any work is being done "for" me as opposed to being done "to" me as a joint venture, that way it's possible to retain some control over the appointment(s).

another aspect is finding a good dentist that is a good "fit" for you that you can work with to build a rapport and trust over a period of time and also a dentist that is willing to go at your pace.

Hope you are able to get started on your journey.

Kind Regards

I have just completed a whole course of dental treatment over several months with a phobia, resulting in partial dentures.
The key is baby steps, I only ever thought of one appointment at a time and not to whole scenario.
I hope you get there, you feel so pleased with yourself when you do.

Back