• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad implant

M

Marysrose

Had a tooth implant done #7 tooth with bone and gum graft done. While in middle if healing from implant and waiting for abundment and crown the dentist who did implant informed me he did not want to do restoration and I should go to one who does. I went to 3. All told me implant failed and needed to come out. Dentist who placed implant refused to take out implant and hung up on me stating he was done with this case..$2900 out of pocket for implant ..$850 for surgical oral surgeon to take out implant...I feel the dentist who placed implant owes me money back such as all of it. Thoughts? All the implant expense was out of pocket. I now have to get a fixed bridge because I cant afford another implant!

This is terrible. While there are no guarantees in healthcare your dentist should have been more sensitive to your situation. My personal policy is to try to keep a patient whole from a financial prospective. In general there are two treatment paths possible. The path I recommend or at least think is reasonable for success and then the path a patient might want to try. If I treat the patient on a path that I think is reasonable from a risk prospective then the patient pays me for this treatment. If the implant fails to take then I will replace the implant without additional cost to the patient. If the patient doesn't want to try the implant again and would rather have a bridge then whatever was already paid for the implant would be applied to the cost of a bridge.
I think this is a reasonable approach for a patient due to the cost of implant dentistry.
If I perform a procedure that I think has a low success then that is the patient's decision and they live with the consequences.
by the way typically when an implant fails they are very easy to remove. Did the oral surgeon graft the site or anything?

Question for Dr Kimsey, when a dental implant is remove, does the socket heals naturally like a regular tooth extraction? Or is surgery needed to aid the healing?

This is terrible. While there are no guarantees in healthcare your dentist should have been more sensitive to your situation. My personal policy is to try to keep a patient whole from a financial prospective. In general there are two treatment paths possible. The path I recommend or at least think is reasonable for success and then the path a patient might want to try. If I treat the patient on a path that I think is reasonable from a risk prospective then the patient pays me for this treatment. If the implant fails to take then I will replace the implant without additional cost to the patient. If the patient doesn't want to try the implant again and would rather have a bridge then whatever was already paid for the implant would be applied to the cost of a bridge.
I think this is a reasonable approach for a patient due to the cost of implant dentistry.
If I perform a procedure that I think has a low success then that is the patient's decision and they live with the consequences.
by the way typically when an implant fails they are very easy to remove. Did the oral surgeon graft the site or anything?
No graft done...oral surgeon wanted to do another bone graft but being my cost was all out of pocket I couldn't afford it.

Question for Dr Kimsey, when a dental implant is remove, does the socket heals naturally like a regular tooth extraction? Or is surgery needed to aid the healing?
yes

Back