• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad pain after retreatment! Help please

D

dawn1981

I had a retreatment thursday morning. I had a infection near the bottom of the canal (showed as a dark area on x-ray). The endodontist put some medicine in the tooth and gave me amoxicillinnands i am due back in 3 weeks. The toot felt okay but my bite was off so i went back and he shaved down my crown and that didnt hurt at all. I flet fine all day yesterday until about 6pm and then i got some major pain. I took advil and that helped some and i went to bed to only be awaken at 3am to even worse pain. Took more advil then this morning it felt okay. Now it is 9pm and i am in agony. It hurts alot. I have taken alot of advil today and worried about taking more. Is this normal? Is it just the infection causing this pain. It is very bad but it seems to come and go. It goes from a pains scale of almost 3 all day to about a 7 at night. I dont know how i will sleep.

You need to see your dentist with this as soon as possible. Nothing bad is going to happen to you, you just need to get out of pain. Only the dentist seeing you can help with this. :XXLhug:

Thank you Carole, i will call my endodontots tomorow morning and i hope it's okay. I am so worried this is ging to be bad. I mean what is wrong with it!

So done with this, i need to get on with my life. I have been neglecting everything in my life for two months because i have had nothing but teeth problems. I must say i am pretty worried about the state of my health from taking so much pain medication too.

Hopefully you will be sorted out tomorrow if you can get in to see your dentist. The teeth being treated can ache a little bit afterwards but usually pain meds take care of the pain.

I do think you have made a wise decision to go and see him, he is best placed to advice you.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Hi Dawn1981

This sort of thing can happen after root treatment especially retreatments. It could be due to the infection being stirred up by the retreatment, in which case the amoxicillin should help in a day or so. Alternately, it could be due to trauma from the treatment at the end of the roots. If this is the case, the pain should also settle in the next few days. Taking paracetamol along with the advil should help with the pain.

Lincoln

Thank you, I do have a question though. I had the root canal retreat on Thursday and it is now sunday night and i am still in pain. Been taking the antibiotic for 3 days now and i also have medication inside the tooth. Shouldn't it be working by now? I actually felt ok the day it was done but after that first day i have been in pain. Should i still call my endodontist tomorow?

Oh and also could it be from an ill fitting crown? This crown i have on (that he drilled through) has a ledge on it and he says it was irritating my gums. I am afraid that is hindering me too. Should i ask my endodontist to remove the crown? I want a new one anyway.

Irritating in this case means making the gums soft and bleeding, it virtually never causes actual pain. So whilst you will benefit from having the crown replaced long term it will not help the pain you are presently experiencing. If anything, disturbing the tooth now might make it worse!
Yes, you are right, one would expect the antibiotics to be kicking in about now if the cause is infection. However, if the cause is trauma from the treatment the antibiotics will not help. Keep taking the painkillers and it should resolve in the next week or so.
I would definitely let the endodontist know the situation though.

Lincoln

So today i called the endodontist and he said this pain was normal and that he has patients that are in alot of pain sometimes after a retreatment with an infection. He said some even come in and get extra shots of novacaine! Does this sound weird to you? I can't imagine being in THAT much pain. I mean to have to get novacaine shots? I would just pull the tooth if i was in that much pain. So he said he was going to give me a different antibiotic, clindamycin. I may be spelling that wrong. I took two already and now i searched online about it and i am freaking out about side effects. I know i know dont google. Too late i already did. lol. I seen some people talking about colitis from taking this antibiotic. I am so afraid now. Help!

Have something dairy when taking the new antibiotic and it will help your stomach. The pro-biotic things are recommended. I usually have a milk shake or a piece of cheese when I have taken it in the past.

I hope you feel better soon.:)

Carole, how long does it take to work? I can't stand this pain anymore. I am really on a cliff here, if it doesnt feel better soon i think i will have to pull it. This is affecting my life greatly. Who knew i tooth could make you feel so depressed!

Your teeth and being in so much pain can make you feel very depressed and quite ill at times. You should start to feel a bit better and have less pain in a couple of days of taking the meds. If you have taken 4 doses today then tomorrow or the day after is when you should get some relief.

I know how painful and infection can be and it drives you mad. I think it is worth it to me to save my tooth. You have to decide how you feel and how much you can take, but I would finish the antibiotics and see how you feel. Take the pain meds as you need them.

I really do know how weary, tired and totally fed up pain can make you, I had to deal with an untreated abscess for over 20 months while being told there was nothing wrong. Your dentist is trying to help.

Give it a bit longer then you decide what you can tolerate. Stick around here and we will give you as much support and sympathy as you could possibly want.

Try and cheer up a bit it will end :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::hug5::hug5::there-there::there-there::there-there::friends::friends::butterfly:

Abscess untreated for 20 months!!! :o:o:o:o:o You poor thing! I really can not imagine that. I struggled to cope with one for 2 weeks! You deserve some hugs for that! :hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4: :XXLhug: :XXLhug: :XXLhug: :XXLhug: :XXLhug: :XXLhug:

Carole, you are a strong women! 20 MONTHS! :o This has been going on for about a month and in the beginning it wasn't that bad and I am already about to lose it! My poor husband and kid. I am snapping at them for everything. I wish I could go on a long vacation after all of this but after spending close to 3,000.00 on teeth issues in the past few months I don't think that will be happeing! :mad:

Re: Bad pain after retreatment! Help please, UPDATE!

So today I go for my 2nd half (and hopefully last) part of my root canal retreat. After I got my antibiotics changed my pain went away about two weeks ago. So now of course I feel great but now I have to go have it finished and I am scared it is gonna start up all the pain again. I hate this. I am so freaked out, maybe more then the first time I went. I kind of put it out of my mind for a month and now its the day. I keep thinking about those numbing shots. Ouch. It will be alright right?

Hi I am glad you got some relief. I had appointment 4, today of my re treatment, I hope yours went well. I look forward to reading how you got on.

All the best to you :butterfly:

I'm back. So I was doing great. Not an ounce of pain after the retreatment. The endodontist said he got it all out and things looked great.... so now why am I feeling some soreness and slight pain again like two weeks later? I thought this was over! Now one thing is I have a old crown that he went through, still on this tooth. I am due to get it off Thursday and get a new one. This old crown in my endodontist words is way to big and has a ledge and he says the pain was from food getting stuck under the crown ledge and how poor it fit. Is this true? I am hoping that is the problem because if not I am going to go crazy. I don't want to pay for a new crown onlyu to find out that this retreat has indeed failed. :(

What the endo dude says is plausible and since they've seen the situation then it's likely to be correct. I'd get the crown taken off and a decent temp made and see what happens next.

Back