• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad taste in mouth 1 day after filling

E

E93

i've been having a bad taste in my mouth (mostly when i salivate) still there 24h+ after i got a composite filling. The taste is sort of vaguely bitter but can't describe it more clearly.

I had my mouth seen by my dentist and she said the filling is fine and has no idea what could be causing this taste...

I brought up the possibility of the filling not being fully bonded, but she said that in that case the tooth would be visibly unstable....

I'm really worried.... is this normal?

Last edited:
has anyone experience that? The dentist seemed quite dismissive, even mentioned it might have been a coincidence and unrelated to the filling.... which seems absurd to me

If the bond failed you'd be having pain from hot/cold/sweet etc.

I can't think of anything that was done during the filling that would leave a long-term bitter taste, we do use a mild acid as a first stage in the bonding process but normally that's washed off and hoovered up by the nurse, it does taste bitter if you get it on your taste buds but no way it would last 24hrs, not even 24 minutes :)

So I'm stuck, sorry :(

The taste has shifted to be less bitter and strong but still weird chemicaley thing...... i'm really confused.... a taste is still there though......

I’ve had that. I think as long as you’re not sore or sensitive everything is ok!

The taste has changed... (not bitter, just weird....) but is persisting 4 days after the filling.....

Is it possible that the anesthetic injection has damaged a nerve or something? I am really confused at why my mouth tastes weird

I have had a strange taste like you described after a filling before that lasted a few days. I’m not really sure what caused it and eventually it went away on it’s own. To me the taste was sort of metallic. Wish I knew the reason and could be of more help.

Did you change anything that you take by mouth? Maybe a new mouthwash? A new medication? Eating something different?

I’m wondering if the filling is just a coincidence and something else is the cause of the taste.

Did you change anything that you take by mouth? Maybe a new mouthwash? A new medication? Eating something different?

I’m wondering if the filling is just a coincidence and something else is the cause of the taste.
Nothing new

Sorry been on holiday. Nerve damage can't cause the change in taste, the nerves that supply the taste buds are nowhere near where the local goes.
Any change now?

Sorry been on holiday. Nerve damage can't cause the change in taste, the nerves that supply the taste buds are nowhere near where the local goes.
Any change now?
It shiftes between a bad taste and dry mouth, I went to my GP and while she's not sure she's making me try thrush medication.

Maybe time for a full mouth cleaning? I have had fillings in fact two replaced in the past 30 days, and have no taste whatsoever after the immediate procedure.

Hi, I know this post is a few years old but I am experiencing the same bitter taste as you after dental work, and I am feeling anxious about it. Did the bitter taste you experienced ever go away, or did you ever find the reason for it? Thank you so much.

@BHall For me it turned out to be acid reflux that is probably anxiety driven. It was nothing to do with my dental work, aside from the fact that it was probably my anxiety for dental work that made it worse.

@ElaineW93 Thank you so much for responding! I have been thinking my anxiety has a lot to do with my situation too. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Back