• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad teeth, no money, feeling hopeless.

E

Elten27

I'm new to this site so sorry if I do something wrong. I read this was a place to vent about these problems and that's essentially what I want and need to do. I just need to get this out at the very least.

I'll just start with this...I have bad teeth. Like, really really bad. A majority of them are rotting and I know that most if not all will need to be taken out. Due to this problem I've been depressed, anxious, antisocial. Obviously there's some pain that goes along every now and then and I get headaches more often as well. This is all from poor care on my part and I absolutely hate myself for it. Lately I can't go a day without having an urge to cry over it or be sad.

Even worse, I've no job (partially due to this problem of course) thus no money or insurance to pay for anything I'd need done such as full extractions and then dentures or if I were lucky implants. Thus, it feels utterly hopeless.

I live with my family as well and they know nothing about this (I hide it well around them). I'm barely able to keep it together anymore though. And as sad as it sounds I haven't said anything about this because 1) I'm so ashamed :shame: 2) That aside, even if I did tell them they have their own money problems as well and couldn't help even if they wanted.

I just don't know what to do. I've researched the insane amount all this would cost and how hard it is even for people who have jobs and insurance! Thus I feel like it's hopeless and I literally have no options.

In other words, I feel like there's no possible good outcome for me. I'm only 23 and I feel like my life is over already.

Thanks if anyone reads this for hearing my rant. It helps a little to get it out :cry:

Dont give up. Apply to anything you can retail jobs anything. Care credit works pretty good Ive heard. You'll be ok just keep applying.

Also look into places that do FREE CLEANINGS. Ive seen every once in a while a dentist will say on TV FREE CLEANING AND FREE TOOTH PULLING, these are the dentist that actually care to help you.

Look into colleges they need people to practice on, the cool thing usually its free.

Do not give up, it will turn around. Remain positive

Good luck, You can even call your dentist and tell them you don't have any money and just ask whats the most important stuff needs to be done, they should want to help

I'm trying. I guess I'm just worried and scared with my problems it would interfere with any job I manage to get. Not only that but it obviously sucks to get a job where you have to interact with a lot of people that'll likely notice your smile, or lack thereof.

Honestly I wouldn't stress it, You would be surprised at the some of the places that people have a bad tooth. There are jobs also that don't require much customer interaction so keep that in mine. Keep looking for jobs to help with the tooth problem look at colleges that offer free service

Hi,

so so sorry to read about your difficult situation. Hope it get solved soon.
Did you ever think about being treated in a dental school by a student? It should be much cheaper and the quality is also very good

I want to look into it but I feel like it's too bad to be taken care of at a school. And job wise the pain and headaches are getting worse and I know it'll interfere :(

Hi Elten
there really is no such thing that's too bad to be done at a dental school if there is one near you. It definitely is not done for free, but it is a reduced rate and the work is thoroughly supervised by a licensed dentist who is ready to step in and take over if needed.
Also my son is grown but as a mom I would want to know if he was suffering and would do anything in my power to help... so you should not hide this from your family.

Also whatever you have researched concerning the insane amount of money you think it would cost may not even apply to you. half the time our teeth are not even as bad as we fear they are.

There's also Affordable Dentures. It's a chain dental business but they are reasonably priced. And they dont just do dentures. Several of the places offer different services. And I agree that you should tell your family. They will want to help you:)

thank you all for your advice and kind words. They really mean a lot.

I actually spent the whole day thinking about what I will say and building up the courage to tell her. As much as I fear her reaction I really want to let this go and move on. I know it'll be such a relief.

Though as an update for today:
I'm hesitant once more. She just got back from being out of town for a day with my step dad who had to have appointments elsewhere for other things. She's worried because on the day he has to return he's got a full schedule (he owns a business). Not only that my grandmother is visiting in a few days.

How can I go about telling her when she's already stressing over other things? I'd feel really bad about unloading more onto her plate.

Again thanks for your guys' help and sorry if I sound er, whiny. It really does help having somewhere to unload everything in the meantime.

your only 23. We care about helping you. We have all be down this road and we understand what your going threw, Trust me I couldn't stop thinking about my teeth 24/7 until I finally went and felt so much better, You have to take baby steps in this, listen to the other people trying to help you also, Its better to try to take care of this before a job then you can try to get dental insurance after you get working. Im glad I got mine taken care of soon because I would probably need a root canal when working and I got a infection. Its a fear some of us have that we cant control the outcome. You might be able to talk to your person your closer to in your family

Back