• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad time at endodontist (no procedure, but lots of fear/anxiety)

M

mirla

It's been a while since I've last posted. I've started reverting a bit. I think I managed to skip a cleaning, and haven't been back or even brushing properly since (brushing give me panic attacks because it makes me think of the fact I should see the dentist).

I've had an ache in my jaw that came and went for a while now. I don't know exactly how long, because my brain deals with the anxiety by forgetting. It feels like it has felt before when I need a root canal, but I've been fooling myself into thinking it might just be stress making me clench my jaw.

A couple days ago, it got worse, and I started having trouble sleeping due to the pain, even when taking ibuprofen. So, I got up the guts to call the dentist. They worked me in, took some x-rays, and sent me to the endo. Unfortunately, my endo (who I love) was booked, so they sent me to another guy.

I was told my x-rays looked suspicious, but not definitive. Tooth 30 has calcification and a small dark area, but they want further confirmation. They did cold tests. And chewing tests, and sticky tests, asking me if I felt the same pain that sent me here. The pain that sent me there was a dull ache in my jaw that moves all around the right side of my mouth. I had some sensitive areas where I felt cold or a little tenderness, but nothing that triggered that pain any more than the normal ebbs and flows I've been feeling. They were also looking for "jump out of your chair pain." If they expect me to jump out of my chair, it will take a lot. Back when I went 10 years with a disaster of a mouth, I learned to deal with a lot of dental pain. I don't jump out of my chair for a toothache, no matter how bad. I do jump out of my chair for relatively harmless things the dentist does, so I think it's a very bad indicator for me.

The endo was visibly frustrated that he spent 20 minutes and was no closer to knowing which tooth it was. I was crying because I was afraid they weren't going to help me and my pain was going to become unbearable, and is felt berated instead of supported. In a past experience, I had to spend two days wanting to die due to pain that was so intense i could neither sleep nor eat while waiting to see the endo. I do not want to do that again.

The endo left for a while, and the nurse spent time telling me what they really wanted. The endo came and checked teeth again, and this time I knew what he wanted ( wish someone had said that in the first place). After he checked the entire right side of my mouth and asked again which one hurt worse (like I can remember how much the first tooth hurt after they did 15 others), I summoned the courage to ask him to repeat the three sensitive areas again. He did, and I could tell him. The cold, tapping, and chewy results were different, however.

He sent me home with a prescription for Percocet (to add to the ibuprofen), and an antibiotic, as well as an appointment for next week. This time I went 9 hours without pain Meds for my appointment. Next time he wants 17 hours pain med free. He also want me to take twice my normal dose of Xanax (only taken for dentist appointments).

He also said I can call if the pain gets unbearable over the weekend, but it is $400 extra.

I am trying so hard not to panic.

I am so sorry for your experience. Doctors often need to figure out what's wrong, if they can't, well frustion(sp?) can come as a result, that doesn't mean he should take it out on you. Some ways to help with oral pain is to use numbing gel, I don't know if it would interact with your other drugs so I would ask your endo about that, to see if I would help. Ways to help with anxiety is by doing something relaxing this could be a nice warm bath or shower, it could be a good book, a nice little nap, taking a walk, etc. Anxiety and pain can be a pain in the but:cry: . I've been there, hope this helps :hug5::hug2::XXLhug:

Went back to the Endo today. He says I have cracked tooth syndrome. He said a crown is the normal treatment, but I already have one on the tooth. He said grinding it down so I don't hit the sensitive part, coupled with using Sensodyne for a couple weeks might help. The next step would be a root canal, or I could just do the root canal now. He doesn't think it's infected, and my tooth actually feels better than last week, so I opted for trying the Sensodyne. We'll see how this goes.

It went better this time, but I've never been on so much Zanex before. I don't think I could have cared if I wanted to.

I hope he's right, and I can keep this root a bit longer. I'm already missing so many others...

Back