• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Badly anxious about gums

Lisalovesbacon

Lisalovesbacon

Hi everyone, I really need help. I'm crying and shaking and contemplating some dumb things.

A few months ago my dentist told me I had gingivitis and that it would go away on it's own, but my teeth have been bleeding lately and I'm really worried. 1 or 2 teeth on my top right molars are throbbing and the gums are red. I'm scared and terrified, someone please help me. I was considering an emergency dentist but I don't have the money, I won't be able to get in to see a dentist for at least 48 hours and I can't stop crying thinking the worst.

It's only one small section of my gums that are red, so I'm gonna be ok right? I badly need reassurance.

Hello there.

I'm no dentist but I do go to one regularly and at my last appointment my dentist told me the following 3 things:

1. Most people suffer from some sort of gum problems in their lifetime.

2. Gum disease takes many years to progress to the stage where a person would lose teeth.

3. The battle against plaque build up is a constant one, which is helped by regular professional cleanings and the correct brushing/interdental cleaning regime.

It's definitely worth going to see your dentist and explain your fears so that you can both work on a plan to get your gum health to an optimum level. Bearing the above in mind I think it's highly unlikely waiting 48 hours will be too much of a problem.

Hope this is of help.

Kind Regards

Hello there.

I'm no dentist but I do go to one regularly and at my last appointment my dentist told me the following 3 things:

1. Most people suffer from some sort of gum problems in their lifetime.

2. Gum disease takes many years to progress to the stage where a person would lose teeth.

3. The battle against plaque build up is a constant one, which is helped by regular professional cleanings and the correct brushing/interdental cleaning regime.

It's definitely worth going to see your dentist and explain your fears so that you can both work on a plan to get your gum health to an optimum level. Bearing the above in mind I think it's highly unlikely waiting 48 hours will be too much of a problem.

Hope this is of help.

Kind Regards

Thanks, Spike. I realised the time the dentist told me I had gingivitis was 2 months ago, after she saw some shadowing on an x-ray. I have never had pain before this week though.

Thank you for your reassuring post, I'm slowly calming down by trying to convince myself everything is gonna be ok ;D

Hi Lisa

no problem, glad to be of help;)

depending upon the gum problem (as I said before I'm no dentist) but for most people the treatment usually involves a dentist or hygienist performing a good clean and then by the person brushing and flossing as directed and attending regular hygiene appointments the problem is usually sorted, sometimes it requires deeper cleaning but your dentist will be best placed to advise you on that score.

Another problem I had at my last appointment was that I had been a little over zealous brushing the gum line and had caused trauma to my gum line on 2 or 3 teeth so my dentist gave me the rarely heard piece of advice to be more gentle in that area until it has healed so this could also be your issue.

to put things in perspective, a few years ago I had quite bad calculus on my teeth and my gums bled like mad when brushing but with a bit of work between myself and a good hygienist I managed perio scores of 0s and 1s the other week which just shows how these things can be reversed if caught in time.

hope everything goes well for you.

Kind Regards

Hi Lisa,

If you can get it have you tried using cordosyl mouth wash? it treats gum problems and may be a cheaper immediate solution for the short term. I think it takes around 6 weeks of continual use but at least it'll be a start. Of course don't forget regular pain relief.

Hi Lisa

no problem, glad to be of help;)

depending upon the gum problem (as I said before I'm no dentist) but for most people the treatment usually involves a dentist or hygienist performing a good clean and then by the person brushing and flossing as directed and attending regular hygiene appointments the problem is usually sorted, sometimes it requires deeper cleaning but your dentist will be best placed to advise you on that score.

Another problem I had at my last appointment was that I had been a little over zealous brushing the gum line and had caused trauma to my gum line on 2 or 3 teeth so my dentist gave me the rarely heard piece of advice to be more gentle in that area until it has healed so this could also be your issue.

to put things in perspective, a few years ago I had quite bad calculus on my teeth and my gums bled like mad when brushing but with a bit of work between myself and a good hygienist I managed perio scores of 0s and 1s the other week which just shows how these things can be reversed if caught in time.

hope everything goes well for you.

Kind Regards

Wow that is great work! I really feel like gums are left out of dental promotion, most people focus on cavities and other things but this seems a lot more serious. I think I scared myself a bit by researching gingivitis and other bad mouth diseases. I keep trying to keep myself calm by saying that I've seen dentists every few months since last year, so if anything bad was happening then surely someone would've picked it up. I also noticed months ago that there was a darkening tone to the teeth, it kinda looks like a blood again. I did mention this to several dentists and none of them said there was an issue which is odd, now with the pain/calculus build up I am assuming there's a cavity or 2.

I'm booking my appointment when the dentist opens in 6 hours (can't sleep, too nervous)

also the blood is not a lot, and I have been using a rather hard toothbrush so this could've contributed. And I stopped using mouthwash not long ago (stupid, stupid me) but now I have started again.

With a tartar removal I'm hoping I can start focusing on bettering my dental health, it seems I only have a major dental freak out every few months, I miss the days where I didn't have any dental worries :(

Hi Lisa,

If you can get it have you tried using cordosyl mouth wash? it treats gum problems and may be a cheaper immediate solution for the short term. I think it takes around 6 weeks of continual use but at least it'll be a start. Of course don't forget regular pain relief.

I just tried looking it up and we don't have it in Australia apparently :/

Booking in today! Seeing a dentist makes me feel much better, well seeing the private dentist I have to pay for. I was getting free treatment through my local hospital but the dentists were rude to me when they noticed a few problems I had which caused my anxiety to worsen.

Currently I owe the private dentist $145 from previous treatments, hoping they don't reject me because of that. If so, I'll have to wait on the government waiting list for a free appointment, then I'll have to put up with the rude and angry dentists who yell at me.

That's great well done Lisa.

You will feel so much better when you've been seen, hope it's a nice patient dentist.

The private dentist I've seen in the past is lovely, she is from England! And she spoke very calmly to me when I saw her firstly, and visits after that she constantly brought up how well I had progressed from being a nervous wreck to acting like a dental pro haha.

Anyway, she is the one I'm booking in to see. I will update this thread with my progress if any of you are interested ;D I'm actually feeling much less nervous booking this appointment.

I had a pretty severe gum problem after a 5 year-ish hiatus (after brutal wisdom experience) my numbers were 4-6 pockets and they were bleeding constantlly, even when I was just walking throught the store.

I had a deep clean with a new dentist, then they were under control BUT I stopped flossing again because I have small mouth/REALLY TIGHT TEETH and I couldn't stand it.

When I was pregnant my gums got iffy again but my OB wouldn't agree with deep cleaning becase of the undue stress on me :p

I've since started using a waterpik and flossing 2x a day and my gums are great. also, avoid listerine or alcohol based mouthwash.I also use a mouthwash by a company called natural dentist. :)

I'm going to ask her how to show me how use those pikster things properly, I bought some but I found myself forcing them between my teeth and this may have contributed to the gum inflammation.
Like I wrote in my original post I am in a lot of pain at the moment, and this might not make any sense but it kinda feels like it's both teeth and gum, but mostly gum?
My biggest fear from all of this is losing all of my teeth, but seeing you all talk about how you have dealt with gum issues has really set my mind at ease, I'm less anxious than I was when I wrote this post, that's for sure!

Appointment has been made for 12pm, which is almost 24 hours from now. I don't think I've ever been this nervous, but the dentist is a really nice lady and if I mention how anxious I am she usually talks me through it.

I had a pretty severe gum problem after a 5 year-ish hiatus (after brutal wisdom experience) my numbers were 4-6 pockets and they were bleeding constantlly, even when I was just walking throught the store.

I had a deep clean with a new dentist, then they were under control BUT I stopped flossing again because I have small mouth/REALLY TIGHT TEETH and I couldn't stand it.

When I was pregnant my gums got iffy again but my OB wouldn't agree with deep cleaning becase of the undue stress on me :p

I've since started using a waterpik and flossing 2x a day and my gums are great. also, avoid listerine or alcohol based mouthwash.I also use a mouthwash by a company called natural dentist. :)

Sounds like you've been through so much with your gums! But the fact that you say it can be dealt with is very reassuring, I've basically convinced myself my teeth are going to fall out. But I know that this is just an extreme possibility, gotta keep thinking positive!

I have also avoided alcohol based mouthwash, but I tend to slack off with my dental health every now and then, I'm learning how to floss properly and using mouthwash twice daily.

I think it has to be long term, severe gum disease in order to lose all your teeth. Try not ot think of that scenario!

Good luck with your appointment :)

also water pik is different, it uses irrigation to clean your gums. I love mine!

I use it after I am finished flossing with waxed floss. Also heard from my new dentist that satin floss or "glide" floss doesn't do the job as well as regular waxed.

Appointment has been made for 12pm, which is almost 24 hours from now. I don't think I've ever been this nervous, but the dentist is a really nice lady and if I mention how anxious I am she usually talks me through it.

Good luck Lisa, thinking of you, let us know how it goes. :clover:

also water pik is different, it uses irrigation to clean your gums. I love mine!

Did it take you a while to learn how to floss properly? I find it time consuming and hard to do in certain places, which is why I've slacked off and put my teeth through hell. It's funny, looking at my teeth they aren't that bad! I've seen much much worse on TV and documentaries.

Good luck Lisa, thinking of you, let us know how it goes. :clover:
Thanks so much, I'm nervous as all heck. More nervous than when I made my first appointment after 7 years. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!

Fingers and toes are crossed :clover::clover::clover: Good Luck, I'm sure it will be fine :)

Back