• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bastet's Journal

I just want to write a couple of quick things.

I'm pretty sure my new mouth rinse is diluted laundry detergent with a touch of mint and Splenda. :giggle:

I contacted the office to see if I could have nitrous oxide for my appointment with the dentist, so that's all set. I also asked for a referral to an oral surgeon. I have to get over that hurdle. I don't regret not letting the second dentist do the extraction, but I definitely want to get it past me. I thought about telling them I wanted to go to a specific office but ultimately decided to ask for their choice. It turns out they referred to the doctor I wanted. I'll take that as a good sign. I need all the good signs I can get. :)

I
I'm pretty sure my new mouth rinse is diluted laundry detergent with a touch of mint and Splenda. :giggle:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not quite sure if I should laugh or cry :giggle:

Happy to hear that you got referred to the one you wanted, that's definitely a good sign! Keep us posted, it's so lovely to read that you have a good practice and keep moving things forward.:)

Today I called the oral surgeon's office and made an appointment for next week. It's for a consultation and if he can do the extraction then, he'll do it. Otherwise I have to schedule another appointment. It's hard on my nerves not knowing for sure, but one step at a time.

The hospital where he's on staff has little videos for most of its doctors to introduce them, so I watched his. He does seem to have a very calming demeanor.

I'm very anxious about this appointment. The tooth is right in my gag zone. I'm going to try not to dwell on it for now.

I had my extraction today, and it was much easier than I expected. My biggest fear was gagging, and when I brought it up, the doctor said he would be careful not to push on my tongue. There were no problems. I’m sure mostly because I was so numb.

I’m taking over the counter pain medication. I have a prescription for something stronger if I really need it. I’m trying to avoid it, because it will make me nauseated. I’m just a little sore now.

Just for completeness, I’ll add that this tooth was a wisdom tooth. When I was in high school, I had a lower first molar extracted, and some of the space closed up before a bridge was placed. The wisdom tooth had room to come in, so my dentist at the time didn’t have me get it extracted with the others. I had been using it to chew to some extent, but I don’t plan to have it replaced.

The bad news is, the doctor noticed another one of my root canals needs to be evaluated. Obviously I hope I won’t need another extraction, but at least I would be able to draw on this positive experience.

When I found out I needed this extraction I promised myself that I would get pizza at my favorite place as a reward once I had it done. It’s been a couple years since I allowed myself to eat there, so I’m looking forward to the treat once I’m fully healed.

Yesterday I had my follow-up appointment with the oral surgeon. He wanted to make sure that I was healing well and not trapping food. Everything looked good, so I don't have to go back to him again for that.

Today I had my appointment with the general dentist to start my restorative work. I'm really feeling embarrassed about the amount of work I have to have done since my last appointment with the second dentist, but I'm going to spell it out in my journal anyhow. Today I got fillings in teeth 13 and 16 and a crown on 15. This area is another one where I had a first molar extracted when I was a kid, but here there was no bridge placed for it, and the wisdom tooth came in. I still haven't found a dentist who could tell that it's the first molar that's missing there. I wish a bridge had never been placed for tooth 30.

This office also uses the Isolite, and though it wasn't as bad as it was at the second dentist's office, it was still hard for me. To be blunt, I hate that thing. It's just so uncomfortable. One thing that was better was that to take the scan for the crown, they didn't use the spray powder stuff. I mentioned it later, and she told me that was the old model. She made it sound like it's been quite a while since the spray was standard. I'm not surprised the second dentist did it that way. He didn't even have digital x-rays.

This is the first office I've been to where the dentist and assistant had their own conversations while they were working on me. The assistant said if I didn't like it, I could tell them to stop. As if someone would seriously tell them to stop.

The dentist said I could do either lower left or right next time. I told her the oral surgeon said he saw something on the root canal on the lower right. She said she'd get the X-ray and I could schedule lower left. That's the side with the root canal that she said she wanted checked, so I said something about that, but she said no, I don't have to get it checked. I wasn't feeling up to arguing about it, especially in reception. I can't let it slide though. I don't want to get a crown on tooth that could have to be extracted soon anyhow.

The scheduler was having trouble finding a time for me, so she said I should come an hour before my hygiene follow-up and they could mill the crown while I'm with the hygienist. I'm not looking forward to it, but I just want to get this over with.

I guess this office is as good as it's going to get. At least everyone is nice to me. I wish things had been different at the first office. When he was at his best, he really was outstanding. If wishes were fishes...

Wow, having a sustained private chit-chat amongst themselves while you are being operated on? I find that so disrespectful and rude :(. There's plenty of time for private banter after work. You have every right to expect to be the centre of attention.

I’m so glad you wrote that, letsconnect, because that’s how I was feeling. I was trying to tell myself I shouldn’t feel that way.

I decided I need to send an email to the office about having the root canal checked before proceeding. As long as I’m admitting my feelings, I’ll say that I’m very frustrated the doctor didn’t listen to me when I tried to remind her about what she had previously said.

To to be honest, I’m frustrated about a few things. I really don’t feel like they take my fear all that seriously. I guess I don’t act the way a phobic patient is supposed to act.

I need to stick with it.

Sorry to hear how the last visit went and I totally second letsconnect about the chat part. And when I imagine that you were there, fighting the discomfort from the isolite and they were just acting like you weren't there, that's not ok. Talking to you and trying to put you at ease would be the right way.
I didn't exactly get the part with the root canal, but what I got is that you would like to get something checked and the dentist refused to - which is not ok either.

You say they do not take your fear seriously. For me it seems more like a lack of standard things in terms of politeness and communication - they were basically ignoring your needs and the things you describe would be quite inappropriate even if you were the most confident patient ever. I wish they would have treated you better.

What do you mean with not acting like a phobic patient is supposed to act?

Hi Enarete,

When I said I guess I don’t act the way a phobic patient is supposed to act, I meant that I am very cooperative even when I wish I wouldn’t be. I was the same way when I was being bullied in school, and the teachers would tell my mom it was my fault for not stopping it.

I know that dentists aren’t mind readers, and it’s my responsibility to let them know. I can understand why they would assume everything is fine. It’s one of the things I need to work on. That being said, some dentists can pick up on it.

The root canal is one that all three of my recent dentists have noticed. On my first visit, she said I should have it checked again before replacing the crown. I wouldn’t say she refused, but she didn’t remember. An email will take care of it I’m sure.

Dr. Kimsey (comfortdentist) who posts here has suggested asking oral surgeons for dentist recommendations (this advice was specific to the United States). It sounds as if you got on well with the OS who did your extraction, so I'm wondering if it might be worth e-mailing him and asking if he can recommend any dentists in your area who are good with nervous patients?

The thread I'm referring to is here: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/f...re-anxiety-low-self-esteem.24504/#post-183495

I know from personal experience how hard it is to keep trying new dentists, but if you don't feel entirely happy with your current dentist, then I would be inclined to continue looking.

Thank you for that information letsconnect.

The dentist scored some points this morning by sending me an email to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. As a matter of fact, I do have a question. Ha ha. I replied tonight to ask about having that tooth checked again by the endodontist. I'll see what she says.

I know there is an adjustment period with a new dentist. I'm reminding myself that I do have a stop signal, and the dentist is very good with anesthetic. Maybe most of their patients use the headphones when they are there. It's just that with the glasses, IsoLite, and nitrous mask, I'm not sure if I can tolerate another thing being attached to my head. :)

Good to hear that she thought of you - sending an email is a nice touch :). Any reply yet?

It's just that with the glasses, IsoLite, and nitrous mask, I'm not sure if I can tolerate another thing being attached to my head.

Totally get where you're coming from - personally I don't like to feel as if I'm shut off from what is happening around me, so headphones are not an option.

(not sure if I agree with there being an adjustment period with a new dentist though!)

I did hear from the dentist and she pretty much said it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it checked. It seems a little weird to me that she just won't admit that it was her idea in the first place. The reason I know that isn't that I have such a great memory, because I don't. It's because of the emotional reaction I had when she said it. It's really hard for me to know I could lose another first molar. I tell myself there are implants now, and I can deal with it, but it will still feel like a personal failure.

I haven't been ready to call the endodontist's office yet, and that surprises me. There is not one thing about him that scares me. If I could find a clone of him to be my general dentist, I'd be all set. Still, something is keeping me from calling. I guess part of me feels like if the tooth is still OK, I'll just be wasting his time.

I haven't been ready to call the endodontist's office yet, and that surprises me. There is not one thing about him that scares me. If I could find a clone of him to be my general dentist, I'd be all set.

When you see him, it might be worth asking your endo if he knows of a clone of himself who happens to be a general dentist? He must know a fair few dentists in your area.

And of course you won't be wasting his time :).

Today I had my appointment with the endodontist. I can't believe how nervous I was about making that appointment. I was pretty nervous today too. There was no need to be. He was very kind, as always. It had been about four years since I had seen him, but it didn't seem like that long.

He checked two teeth for me and said he didn't recommend any treatment at this time. He said the one he checked four years ago hadn't changed at all, but he recommended a CT scan since it would give him a 3D view that he didn't have available before. He said he found an extra root that he couldn't see before, but he wants to let it be unless I have symptoms or it changes. He felt the anatomy of this root would make it very difficult to treat. He showed me the scan on screen. It was pretty cool.

I have my next appointment at the end of the month. Until then, I will enjoy the break.

Good to hear that you felt comfortable with the endodontist, there can never be enough good dental experiences. Enjoy your break and take care :)

I had my appointment today to replace a crown on #19 and get a filling in #20. I also had my follow up with the hygienist. Surprisingly, I felt like I just had a "normal" amount of nervousness before the appointment. I know the dentist is really good with anesthetic, she won't make unkind comments, and she'll let me use a stop signal. I think I'm settling in a bit. I knew the Isolite would be uncomfortable for me, but I also knew I could deal with it.

I had nitrous oxide again, but just for the first part of the visit. By the time I went to see the hygienist, I felt like I had enough. I get a little nauseated going through the switch from nitrous to oxygen. The hygienist mentioned some bone loss on my front teeth. I was told about some bone loss many years ago, but at the time, they said it was due to my occlusion/clenching. Anyhow, this hygienist want me to come in every three months to keep it stable. I think it is stable, but I'll see how it goes with every three months. Maybe it will be easier on me nerve-wise if I go more often. She said overall I was looking much better though.

The hygienist complimented some of the work the first dentist did. Yeah, I know. As I keep saying, I wish things could have been different with him.

I asked the dentist if it would be possible for me to get an implant instead of replacing the bridge again. She gave me a referral for the oral surgeon, so he can evaluate the bone. She told me about the periodontist who is doing her implant. I think she wanted me to pick him, but the oral surgeon made the extraction I had so easy for me, I want to go back to him.

That's about it for now. I'll call the oral surgeon and go back to the general dentist in a few weeks for another crown replacement and a filling.

Today I saw the oral surgeon to talk about my suitability for an implant. He thinks he can do it, but he needs to use a smaller kind of implant. That tooth has been gone for about 40 years, and I've had a bridge for almost as long. I didn't realize a bridge could maintain the bone like that. Because he has to use a specific brand of implant, he said he needed to contact my dentist to see if she would restore that kind. He told me I could schedule with him right away or wait until he talked to her. I opted to wait. Someone from his office left me a voicemail already today and said the oral surgeon talked to my dentist, and she can restore it. I sent the treatment coordinator at my dentist's office an email to see if I should get the implant surgery first or if she wants to do the crowns on the adjacent teeth first.

The oral surgeon already gave me a prescription for antibiotics and pain killers. I need a few weeks at least before I can schedule because of work obligations. I feel like I should do it though because even at my best, it's hard for me to keep the bridge clean. Whenever I get decay on one tooth, I have to replace three. I think this will be the second time I've replaced it. I wish I had asked about an implant instead of replacing it before.

I'll update again when I hear from my dentist's office about scheduling order.

I heard back from my dentist's office. She can section my bridge when I go for my crown appointment next week, so I'll make my implant appointment for the end of the month or later. I know I'll be anxious when the time comes, but for now I'm kind of looking forward to it. I would love not to have to use floss threaders anymore.

Last week I had a crown replaced on tooth #2. I had a hard time again, but it was a completely different experience from when I had a hard time with the second dentist. Because my current dentist makes a point of reminding me of the stop signal at the beginning of every appointment, I felt comfortable using it. My problems were with the Isolite (as usual) and water pooling. After the third time I stopped her, I asked if they could turn up the nitrous oxide. They did, and it helped.

It turned out to be a positive experience even though it was hard, because I felt like I had some control.

The dentist also sectioned my bridge, so I’ll be ready for my implant surgery Friday. It feels so weird missing that tooth again.

The oral surgeon gave me a prescription for antibiotics that I’m supposed to start before surgery. I have to remember to pick it up.

I’ll post more after Friday.

Back